2010 MBP Graphic Card issue...or (non)issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akdj, Aug 18, 2010.

1. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I'm going to read the entire thread...and I've picked through enough to realize what the issue is, I'm just having a hard time understand who is/isn't affected. What softward is/isn't affected...and if this was a crappy batch or procs/GPUS/Logic Boards or whether or not it's a software issue.

Why am I so curious?

Well...because on an impulse yesterday, I picked up a new MBP 17" i5 with the said GPUs. I don't generally buy so quickly, but I'm pretty familiar with the new laptops just from hanging around MR. However, until this morning...this was the first I'd heard of the GPU "Hanging" "Freezing" "Beach Ball o' Death" issues.

So, I bought it last night...it's going to replace my 15", 3 year old SR 2.2. But I haven't unboxed it, and I picked it up at Best Buy...so I can return it.

What would you do, as a current MBP owner? Would you bring it back or keep it? Is this really that much of an issue? Obviously, those with issues are going to be significantly louder than those without...as it should be. But, typically, Apple won't allow negative discussion on their boards...and there's a pretty extensive thread there about it...as there is here.

I do need the computer. Is it better to go with a different model? Is it consistent throughout the range of GPUs? The 256 and 512s are affected the same or one more than the other? From what I've seen, that hasn't been determined...but I may not have "seen" it all.

Thanks for any help...I'm really excited to open this thing, but I have gone through a Logic board replacement in my current MBP...and I'm not really excited to be so wary while owning this one. My wife's MB...and my 5 or 6 year old PB g-4 (15") have NEVER exhibited any of these issues...so I was really hoping this issue was relegated to my unlucky MBP purchase 3 years ago.

I hate to be the DB that starts the "New" thread about this issue...but I'm more curious of whether or not this said issue has hampered current/prospective buyers from picking one up...and even moreso, current owners that are upset or regretting their purchase because of this challenge.

Is it really only a "half second hang" or is it a frustrating and lengthy wait every time the "Switch" happens? How significant a difference in battery life if you just keep the dedicated GPU running all the time? And are there issues with doing that?

I apologize for the apparent redundancy of this thread...but I hate to derail the other one with the "Should I or Shouldn't I buy....?"

Thanks!

Jer

2. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

I've had mine for a few months now and no problems at all. The switching takes about 1 second :)

3. ajphares macrumors newbie

I've had mine for a few weeks and it's happened to me quite often where it'll beach ball for 5 seconds or so max. I turned off dynamic switching so it's running NVIDIA at all times and haven't had that happen since. I wouldn't take it back based on that issue. I think there's a program out there that will only switch when you go from AC power to battery life if the extra battery life used by the NVIDIA graphics is a concern.

4. itripped macrumors member

I guess this is one of the few advantages of getting the 13", heh. No switching involved and I have the computing chops to handle my needs. But it's a mac, I'm sure if you use it you will find way more things to love about it compared with one or two issues.

Then again, if you find yourself gritting your teeth, you do have a return policy. Exercise it if you find you are bothered by the GPU switching and can't come to an easy workaround.

5. anon.ymous macrumors member

if you're that concerned about the gpu issue, return it and get an iMac or 13" laptop. otherwise, just open it up and start using it. if there's a problem, that's what return policies and Applecare are for. even if you had 100 responses to this thread giving you anecdotal evidence of how peoples' individual MBPs performed, it would not determine how your specific unit works.

and now i sound like a dbag! oh well.

6. akdj thread starter macrumors 65816

akdj

LOL...Thanks for the insight guys/gals.

All I needed was 5 responses. 100 is totally unnecessary. Sometimes a thread like this can be spun a bit more positively in order to garner the right respondees:) I think that's what happened.

I got the info I was looking for. I'm typing this post on the new machine. I love it. I'll pick up AppleCare for it...and I'll learn to live with it!

As far as picking up a 13"...Thanks for the offer, we have one (my wife's) as mentioned in my OP. Their all great machines in their own special ways. This 17" though is awesome! It's the first time I've owned the big one, but we've been doing a whole LOT more video editing in the field...and the extra real estate is easily the most important factor on this machine.

I'm also a pilot...both literally and virtually;) So being able to test the GPU issue with XPlane and MSFS X (when I get around to installing Windows on a partition) will be enough for me to get an idea of how much of an issue it really is.

As I mentioned though...there is a REALLY long thread about this in the Mac forums...and typically Apple polices those negative posts pretty well (I've had every "Issue" post I've ever written deleted!).

Thanks for your insight. It's an open package and I'm keeping it!

Jer