2010 MBP Hanging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noobinator, Apr 4, 2011.

1. noobinator, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

noobinator macrumors 601

I have 14 days left on my 2010 13" MBP. In the beginning I didn't even know what the pinwheel was that I saw people referring to. Now, it's beyond an annoyance. It happens most often when I first start the laptop when it's cold but it still it also happens after being on for an hour or anytime.

When I first power on my MBP it takes about 10-15 bounces for Chrome to pop up. Then my homepage loads and the pinwheel spins another 10 seconds or so before I can type or scroll or do anything.

I can almost guarantee that if I take it in, it won't do it. That's just how things seem to go. I am noticing the pinwheel every single time I fire this up as opposed to never when I first got it.

This is my first Mac so I'm not sure how common this is.
    Is this a common issue and is it fixable or am I just out of luck?

Is this just normal degradation of my product or should I take it in for service? Can they test for this or they just going to say "too bad" if it doesn't happen when I bring it in?

edit: It's been on for an hour now. Just re-booted OSX and it took 33 bounces to get Chrome going and another 10 seconds of pinwheeling once it got going. I have 60gb out of 200 being used and I have windows 7 on bootcamp. Nearly no programs have been installed. Office being the largest.

2. Inside_line macrumors regular

You could run some benchmarks to see if your scores match up with those of others. If it's below average, take it in and have them look at it.

The beach balling is due to hard drive access. Any machine with a slow 5400 laptop drive isn't going to be in any hurry. This is why these forums are so obsessed with SSD's.

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

4. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

My '10 hard drive is failing, maybe yours is too...