2010 MBP i7 dead after 3 months

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbp2010-3mos, Aug 16, 2010.

1. mbp2010-3mos macrumors newbie

Just wanted to let everyone know that my 2010 MBP died after 3 months.

Was programming Friday nght as usual and then Saturday afternoon the power button did nothing and the mag connector led was very dim.

The Apple store states that it is the logic board and will be 3 days to replace.

Is this the norm? Is it just the new model? The i7?

I made the switch entirely from PC to Mac and now have programming data that I need for client meetings in Mac format and cannot access. Very frustrating.

I have had Dell and HP laptops that ran without issue until retirement
    and then are still running as hand me downs (about 5 years old).

I like the OS X interface and enjoy programming on the platform but as a consultant I need something reliable.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks...

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Dude, just send it back! Or return it. Isn't that why new hardware comes with twelve months manufactures warranty?

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

It just seems to be bad luck on your part. Just like any other electronics, things fail. Since it has only been 3 months, you should just get the logic board replaced or ask for a totally new macbook pro.

4. mark28 macrumors 68000

Be happy that it occured within your 1st year of purchase. Because this is a costly repair.

5. circularforward macrumors 6502

I'm sorry that you have to deal with that. Any electronic item, whether it be a Mac or the best PC, can fail. As others have mentioned, at least it happened in the first year of ownership, if it had to happen at all. This just reminds us all to have a good backup system in place that we consistently use. I hope the repair is speedy....

6. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Looks like just some bad luck. Maybe some thermal wasnt applied correctly at the factory in China and that caused some overheating. Those i7's do generate a ton of heat (as well as power) so who knows. My i5 is running strong after over 3 months, as many many macs are.

My Core Duo white imac still runs great and that's coming up on 5 years. Hell, I had a G4 that lasted almost 10 years.

7. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Very true. I experienced it myself when after 4 years my 2006 MacBook Pro's logic board died and they quoted me 640 british pounds (about 1000 dollars) to get it repaired :eek:
    It's definitely worth getting Apple Care within the first year btw.

Since my 2006 MBP died, I've been using my iMac G4. It's 8 years old and still going strong for its age and specs.

8. torpy macrumors regular

9. dharpo32 macrumors newbie

dharpo32

MBP i5 i7

Not entirely common but am concerned about what will happen in the next few months

10. mbp2010-3mos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses...

I am getting mostly positive reviews for the mbp 2010 and am trying to convince myself that mine failing was just a fluke.

However, I am having doubts about using the mbp as my primary machine.

Does anyone use a 2010 mbp as their primary machine for cross-platform development and for client presentations?

11. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Yours was probably defective. My brother' Early 2008 MBP with the 8600M GT still hasn't failed yet. He bought it in either March of April 2008, and uses it for 14 hours everyday. He rarely shuts it down. His MBP still runs beautifully.

12. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Sorry that happened. Even though it may be hard, I wouldn't base total judgement on Apples laptops just because of what happened. I believe you just picked up a lemon laptop. If anything, I hope Apple's customer service is treating you well.

13. Animalk macrumors 6502

Hi there fellow developer,

I've been using my MBP as my primary machine for 3.5 years now. It's a great machine. It took me through my Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and a couple of years in the video game industry. I've only had two battery failures so far and I decided it was time to reapply thermal paste on the chips a couple months back as the old stuff was starting to lose its efficiency (which is completely normal).

Use Time Machine aggressively on all your important files and folders. This is my best piece of advice.

The MBP is a very robust machine. Keep it clean. Treat it like a computer and not like a book and you should be fine.

Good luck.

14. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

This just in, mass produced hardware fails from time to time. More at 11.

15. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It was just a fluke. I have never seen/heard of/owned a Mac that has failed within the first year of ownership. They all fail the day after the warranty expired :p... Just kidding! If this is your primary computer, I would recommend getting the extended apple care warranty.