2010 MBP Idle Fan Noise Louder?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stangs55, Apr 21, 2010.

?

How does the idle fan noise of your 2010 MBP compare to your previous 2008 or 2009?

1. Louder

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. No difference

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Quiter

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. I had a pre-2008 MBP or nothing to compare it to

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Only 12 hours with my new 17" i7 MBP and I've noticed two big things over my previous 2008 15" MBP. One, it's faster. Two, I can clearly hear the fan while it's just idling (surfing the web, email, etc).

It's not LOUD by any means...but's my old MBP was essentially silent when it was resting....that silence has now been replaced by the low hum of a fan.

Anyone else notice this in comparison to their 2008 or unibody?

EDIT: (and no...I can't spell quieter)

2. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Anyone else?

I'm sitting here with them side-by-side and (although subtle) the difference is quite obvious.

3. Kiddo86 macrumors member

4. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Are you sure the noise you're hearing isn't the hard drive (assuming you don't have an SSD drive)?

I haven't noticed the fans at all unless I play a game... at idle, all I hear is the hum of the hard drive, and I have to get pretty close to the computer to hear it. (this is in a 15" i7 with a Seagate 500GB 7200rpm drive)

5. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

+1

In a quiet environment, the hard drives in both my 2009 13" and 2010 15" make far more noise than the fans. It's not until they spin up to about 3500rpm do the fans become obvious.

6. treestar macrumors 6502

7. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Its definitely not the hard drive. When I do something, I can clearly hear the difference between the accessing of the hard drive and just the steady, unwavering hum of a fan.

Both my previous MBP and my current MBP have 7200rpm drives...if it was the hard drive, then I should hear it on both.

8. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

The hard drive noise i'm referring to is the steady unwavering whir of the hard drive spindle motor. It does sound like a fan, which is why I suggested it. It's only audible in a perfectly silent room; otherwise ambient noise drowns it out.

The seek noises from both my hard drives are virtually undetectable unless I have my ear pressed against the palmrest.

9. desmo101 macrumors newbie

15 i7

I noticed the weird noise when I was at my country house last weekend.

it almost sounds like electric buzzing to me. I brought it back to the apple store. the ''genius'' opened up the computer and told me a wire was close to the fan and was making that noise.

all good.

I come back home and not only does the computer still buzz, but on top of it that ''genius'' didn't put the screws back in properly on the bottom of the case.

my macbook pro core duo was quieter than this, It's the first apple laptop that annoys me...

and the trackpad doesn't work properly when the laptop isn't warm... takes like a few clicks....

if anyone finds the cause of the buzzing/fan noise please post it asap.

10. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

If you are using a 7200 rpm harddrive then that's likely the source of low pitch hum (spinning of the motor/disc).