2010 MBP is acting wonky

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glocke12, Apr 30, 2012.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I have mid 2010 MBP (2.53 ghz i5) that has been acting up for the past few months. I think it started when I upgraded to Lion back at the end of last summer.

Problems I am encountering are an excessive number of freeze ups and I have to forcefull restart by keeping the power button pressed down. These are complete lockouts, no spinning beach ball or anything.

Other times I do get the spinning beach ball, most notably with safari and I will have to force quit safari and restart.

One really odd thing is that a folder I have on my desk top that contained miscellaneous items, has had everything mysteriously convert to an alias...pictures, files, etc. everything is now an alias, and not only that but there are multiple aliases for each item. I cannot find the original item anywhere, even a time machine restore does not help.

Now, when I installed Lion I just did the install as part of a normal update, but when had problems I later went back and wiped my HD clean and did a fresh install. I have also performed a disk repair on preferences and that has not helped.

Any ideas whats going on ?? Before Lion I had no problems at all.

2. mark28 macrumors 68000

1. Try reinstall Lion.
    2. Reinstall Snow Leoaprd

If none of the above work, some hardware could be broken.

3. lamboman macrumors 6502

I would try a PRAM and SMC reset just for the hell of it, and if not, honestly, a reinstall of either Lion or Snow Leopard is the safest bet. Pain I know, but it is better than nothing.

4. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

So, if reinstall Snow Leopard can I restore my data from the OS Lion Time Machine backups I have for this machine?

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You probably would want to install clean, in the not unheard of possibility that you would essentially restore the issue that's causing the need to install the OS again.

6. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I realize that...I am asking about restoring data (i.e. aperture libraries, itunes libraries, email) from TM backups that were made with Lion.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Your libraries would be no issue, as the application data will be the same.