2010 MBP not recognizing internal drive- please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M-B-P, Jul 17, 2012.

1. M-B-P macrumors regular

Hey, I was setting up a SSD/ HD (opitbay) set up for my 2010 13" MBP. I got the opitbay set up with the hd, but disk utility wasn't recognizing the new SSD in the main bay. So I put the superdrive back in and put the original hd in the main bay and now disk utility isn't picking up the original hd. I can't boot from the original hd either. I tried reconnecting the cable at both ends but no luck.

Any troubleshooting that I can do? Any ideas what I can do?

I'm thinking it might be the cable since both drives didn't work. Pease help as I need this laptop for work.

2. M-B-P thread starter macrumors regular

I've been doing some research and I've read that some of the sata cables used on the 2009/2010 models may have been bad. Anyone else had issues with those? Is there any documentation that I can use for my appointment at the genius bar tomorrow?

3. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Yep, there was another post like this a few months ago and it was the cable. Try replacing it and seeing if that solves your problem.

-P

4. M-B-P thread starter macrumors regular

Where is the best place to buy it from? when installing it I just screw in the two screws and attach it to the logic board and connect the other the end to the drive or is there more to it.

Also by chance do you have a link to that thread or threads with similar problems? I would try looking myself but I'm without a laptop and working of my Xperia arc smartphone so is not thanks againexactly best for browsing.