2010 MBP or 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kitrak, Apr 8, 2011.

1. kitrak macrumors newbie

hi all,
    so i decided to buy a mac. i was going through the reviews and found that 2011 MBP runs hotter than the 2010 MBP is this true did anyone experienced this.
    definitely 2011 is a big upgrade from 2010 i dont want to buy the older one, and also i will be using windows on this for my work stuff. does running windows runs even hotter.

help is appreciated.

thanks.

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi kitrak,

Many reported their 2011 MBPs running hotter, however there was never really any credible sources ie Anand, Macworld and Macrumors main site that actually reported this. The temperatures people reported were all perfectly in the safe zone and of the forum posts most got theirs replaced and the new one was fine. Bottom line go get yourself a 2011 MBP, overheating is just a overblown issue.

3. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

This. I would definitely recommend the '11 over the '10 especially if price isn't a problem.

4. kitrak thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestions.

how is the performance of windows on bootcamp. i will be using windows for my work related stuff. its better if i can use it on VM so i dont have to restart, i will be installling xp SP3 and i am planning to allocate 2gb and 1 proceessor to VM will it be enough or else i will be upgrading the RAM to 8gb.

thanks.

edit: i am sticking with xp because it doesnt require as many resourse as win7. if win7 runs fine with above config i will be happy to install 7(it looks better than xp!).

5. Exana macrumors regular

I sold my 2011 and get an 2010. Can't go with a so noisy laptop. Fans spin too often and so fast. When doing some heavy work, fans runs at 6000 rpm even for a medium 3D rendering. 2010 takes 2 minutes in stead of 1 min but it stays quiet (2000 rpm). I prefer less power than more noise.

6. jegbook macrumors regular

Depends what you will be doing in OS X. Dedicating 2GB to your VM is a hefty amount with only 4GB total.
    I would definitely advise Win 7 and I don't think resources will be a problem. I give 2 cores and only 1GB to my Win 7 VM (my Boot Camp partition) and I think it runs really well. Not as fast as when I'm booted, but still nice. I generally just run Office 2007 apps and IE and Safari in Windows, maybe some Remote Desktop sessions. If you're doing more serious stuff, you may well need the 2GB.
    What do you do in Windows that you want to give it 2GB of RAM for?

So, back to OS X usage. After the IGP takes its 384MB, your VM gobbles up a bunch, you're probably left with a little over 1GB. If you're not using any heavy hitting audio/video apps, you might be okay.

But then, at less than $100 for the upgrade to 8GB, it might be a no brainer. Newegg seems to have good prices. You could also do OWC (www.macsales.com) and send back your stock 4GB kit for about $25 credit.

Performance of Windows in Boot Camp (booting your Mac into Windows) is really great, I think. My MBP 13 incher is dang snappy in Win 7. My Windows Experience numbers are: Proc: 5.9, RAM: 5.5, GFX (Aero): 5.4, GFX (gaming): 6.1, HD: 5.9.

Enjoy your MBP!

7. kitrak thread starter macrumors newbie

i will be using outlook for my office. SQL Server, some development tools from SAP which are windows only. some remote desktop sessions etc.
    for this load will win7 be able run on 2gb in VM? or do i have to upgrade to 8gb? and allocate 4gb for VM?
    and i am concerned about the load on mac if i will be running all the above stuff if its too much to handle for a VM i will be better off installing windows in boot camp!

8. kitrak thread starter macrumors newbie

was it that noisy that forced you to sell it??
    i wont be using any 3D rendering work and probably no GPU intense stuff.

9. Tonepoet, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

If you want to use Windows XP with it, you'll have to use the 2010 model then. Apple doesn't support Bootcamp with XP or Vista on the newest Macbook Pros or the Macbook Airs. I just begrudgingly mailed my copy away to a friend and ordered Windows 7 ultimate off of Amazon when it dipped down below the price of Pro...

If you have Atari 2600 joysticks, Sega Genesis controllers or anything of the like, it might be worth keeping X.P. around though. Unlike the later versions of windows, it natively supports Game Port devices. Not that you have Game Ports on a Macbook but it's worth mentioning since I believe the number one use of Bootcamp is games.

10. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

If you increase performance you increase heat so go with whats most important to you.

11. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Your choice may already be made for you... new 2010s are getting harder to find.

12. edjrwinnt macrumors member

I got an open box, 2010 17" I5 for $1,575 plus tax from Micro Center about 3 weeks ago. The computer was brand new and I got the full one year warranty. I always wanted a 17" screen but couldn't justify over $2,400 for a new one with an educational discount. I'm very happy with it after I put 8 Gigs of ram in it to run a Win7 VM.

At some point though I have to get a SSD drive because I'm spoiled with SSD on my 2010 Macbook Air.

13. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

The way to go might be a refurb 2010, then add a faster hard drive and 8gb ram. The base 15" 2010 goes for only $1,269 and includes same as new warranty. Here is a link to see what refurbs are currently in stock and the prices - some models like the base 15" do not last long and get sold as soon as they become available. Also, if you wait then you might be able to pick up a 2011 refurb

I love my 2010 and so far it has never got hot nor had the fans hum with white noise - I do mostly heavy duty Photo editing

http://www.refurb.me/us/

14. Exana macrumors regular

Most time I run middle to high CPU task, 2011's fans run 1000 rpm faster. Playing not heavy 3D games makes the fans spin at 3000 to 3500 rpm while they stay at 2000 rpm or just above for 2010. It' was about the same for some audio transcoding.
    MacBook Pro 15" 2,2 GHz 2011 is 2 times faster than MacBook Pro 15" 2,53 GHz 2010 but also 2 times louder.

15. TomCondon macrumors regular

mine is generally 33C - 49C

when I watch videos in bed it gets up to around 70

but it's not too bothering

16. Ceebee1980 macrumors regular

If you use safari instead of chrome, and/or gfxcardstatus, the 2011 runs pretty dang cool.

17. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

If you do middle to high CPU tasks, I don't understand why you wouldn't want the "2 times faster" '11 model.