2010 MBP, OSX Lion -> Incessant Kernal Panics/restarts, Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by covaloch, Sep 17, 2011.

1. covaloch macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently had to send my MBP for servicing due to a wonky, angst-filled trackpad that would go crazy. During servicing, they found out that my memory card reader was not functioning as well and the service letter said that they replaced the logic board too.

My MBP's a 2010 core i7 MBP 2.66 ghz, and I've dualbooted it with Win 7. Just FYI.

Ever since getting back the laptop, my computer has been bugged with so many kernal panics, forced restarts, it isn't even funny. I'd be understating it if I said 10 restarts a day, as opposed to almost non, ever, for a year.

I at first attributed it to flash, because it seemed to crash every time Safari was on a youtube page. So I reinstalled it, and it seemed fine...for a grand total of 2 hours.

When I got to Windows for gaming, i'd have my screen black out at times for no reason. Sometimes before I could even log in. I thought I fixed the issue after reinstalling the drivers for that, but its still plagued with random restarts.

Another problem is that It never wakes from sleep nowadays, its always blacked out and forced to restart when i open the lid.

Things i've already done

1. I used Disk Utility to check for errors - There isn't any
    2. I used Disk Utility to check for problems with permissions - There were a few, all managed to be repaired.
    3. I thought it might be a ram issue, seeing as to how it was affecting Windows as well. Used rember, and everything checked out. Ran the test 5 loops and it was all fine.

I'm thinking now that it might be a graphics card problem. Not sure, but here's the kernal panic error message. I'm not sure how to read this but I hope it might be useful to someone and point out an old bad driver I might have, etc.

2. Inside_line macrumors regular

I'm a bit confused, it was fine with lion before servicing?

If so, you need to be all over the phone with them, this sounds like something they did and it's something they need to fix.

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

You need to take it back to Apple. This sounds like a hardware issue that Apple needs to fix unless it only happens with Lion. Any case, talk to Apple.

4. ajthomason macrumors 6502

It's a logic board failure. I just had mine replaced for the very same reason - literally got it back 2 days ago (and now the damn sleep/lid sensor doesn't work!). I had this panic as well as "unresponsive CPU" but exactly the same symptoms.

Sorry - but it has to go back again!

Mine is also a 2010 i7 2.66Ghz. Must be a fault with that specific model.