2010 MBP programs quitting.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjcoddington93, Nov 20, 2013.

1. jjcoddington93 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a mid 2010 15" MBP 2.53Ghz i5 8gb RAM 256gb SSD that has in the past couple of months started to quit programs randomly at the most annoying times, sometimes it even restarts itself.

Last week I did a clean OS install and it was alright for a couple of days but the problem has now come back again. Attached is a .txt crash report from Google Chrome, it was too long to paste. Please note, this is not the only program that crashes.

Any help is much appreciated… hopefully I don't have to replace the logic board or something. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, sounds exactly like a logic board failure to me, have you taken it in?

3. jjcoddington93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh no :(, I had a feeling after reading a bit about it. I haven't taken it in but I've had it for over 3 years so they wouldn't replace it right? How much would a repair like that normally cost?
    Thanks for the reply!

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I would assume a memory issue first.

Run memtest86 on it for a few days.

5. jjcoddington93 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Apple Hardware Test also runs a pretty thorough RAM test, if you will.
    It's either on install DVDs that came with the computer or netbooted from Apple for those that did come without any install media.

7. jjcoddington93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, just tried the Apple test twice using the extended setting (over an hour in length) and both times it came back 'no trouble found'. I watched as it was testing and it seemed to test the RAM and the Logic Board.... Now I'm confused!! Could it be a bad program somewhere that is causing these crashes? :confused:

8. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I still feel it could be memory related. If it is not the Ram, I would suspect maybe the SSD. Do you still have your old HDD that you can throw back in there and test it?

9. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Are you using any plug ins/extensions?
    Also, do you have any kernel panics listed in your console? (the graphic chip/logicboard problem usually outputs something like "AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.4.5")

10. jjcoddington93 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it is still somewhere.. Although these crashes were still happening before I installed it about a month ago. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009LI7C9Y/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - here's a link to the SSD I have.
    On the other hand, I've had the upgraded ram in there for about 2 years.

11. jjcoddington93 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used to use an ad blocker extension with chrome but kept getting page crashes within chrome. I uninstalled it hoping these problems would cease but unfortunately they still occur. I've attached a screen shot of the last few minutes of my console. Within this time the computer has restarted itself. Thanks for all your help guys!

Attached Files:

12. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

could you show us, if there are any reports listed under the "-->System Diagnostic Reports"? (or user)

13. jjcoddington93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, here is the report from when the computer restarted..!

Attached Files:

14. jjcoddington93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the error I keep getting in chrome... I've tried their suggestions but still no success. Could this be related?

Attached Files:

15. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I'm not really good with log entries, but if you are ok with reseting chrome you could try this:

*) Console: sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force
    *) Console: rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google
    *) reboot

Tell us if it worked!

16. jjcoddington93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I reset chrome last night and have been using the computer all day today recording music (it's now 19:02), and so far no crashes!!!! Hopefully this was the problem. I'll post an update in a couple of days to see if its still going strong.
    Thanks for all the help!