2010 MBP support in OSX 10.6.3?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trondah, May 1, 2010.

1. trondah macrumors 6502

Does the new Macbook's run on vanilla 10.6.3 or do they ship with a special 10.6.3 version for the new graphics chips? I know this has been the case with previous hardware updates.

The reason I asked is because I sold my 13" 2009 MBP but did an image of the harddrive first. I want to know if I can just restore it to my new 2010 MBP when it arrives.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not recommended to copy OS from other machines... Just transfer the files you need

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What you need to do is buy a cheap external drive. Then use a free cloning program like Carbon Copy Cloner then clone your external drive.

If you don't want to use a cloning third party program and use the built in Time Machine then you should hold onto your system disks (that came with the laptop). When the first large backup happens you can boot with a OS X system disk and from the menu item on the install disk restore from a Time Machine backup. The choice is yours.

4. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

You could clone it over and then pop in your OS X disc and install over the old copy so that all of the drivers are there.

5. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

Disk cloning is really easy, i've upgraded many a hardrive this way with great success. Carbon Copy can clone directly from a disk image.

OR you simply boot from the OSX CD; With the drive you have the image stored on connected. Using Disk Utility restore to the new drive from the old disk image.

@ Hellhammer, I don't know who doesn't recommend it. If the disk image checksums clean then there shouldn't be any problem. As for disk cloning, that's just a bit for bit copy. I've done it with both dynamic, and static partitions. Always works every time. ;)

6. trondah thread starter macrumors 6502

As an ACSA certified consultant I can tell you that OSX can be cloned to different hardware without any problems as long as the OSX version supports the new hardware.

Did you read my post? I already have an image of my hard drive.

That doesn't answer my question or help either...

Since nobody seems to have read the first post I'll ask again. Does 10.6.3 support the new lineup of MBP's?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's great, but isn't the issue of whether or not the hardware is supported the essence of your original question?

8. trondah thread starter macrumors 6502

*sigh*... "as long as the OSX version supports the new hardware". Why do people keep ignoring what I write? I don't want to sound rude but nobody so far has addressed my question.

So, I'll repeat once again. Does 10.6.3 support the latest MBP's?

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Honestly it is hard to say, unless you have the machines. My hunch would be "No." All those machines had a custom build number.

You can view those here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1159

I am sure you know Apple's position:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2186

The vanilla 10.6.3 may have included support for the GT320 and GT330 and maybe the custom builds had the inertial trackpad driver. Give it a shot, but I wouldn't expect perfect results if any at all.

EDIT: As an aside, I don't know why an ACSA would have to ask this question.

10. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

You need to simmer down. If it were different it would have a different VERSION NUMBER!:rolleyes: As for the hardware differences, running software update would fix any missing things.

I don't think that what you were getting at was really clear to anyone because it's a stupid question!

11. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

Yes, it's a stupid question because OSX will boot up and recognize what model it's on, and adjust accordingly. If it were a "special" build Apple would have to scrap ALL the OSX DVD they had already made! and press new ones! :eek:

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Wrong. OS X is further differentiated by build numbers. You cannot fix missing drivers with software update.

Wrong. Apple does this every time a models get refreshed. You cannot boot OS X if you are missing drivers. Which is why the special builds (which you would know if you read the links I gave) are given on the install discs with the machine.

Just some advice, stop giving advice if you don't know what you are talking about.

13. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

So you're telling me that ALL of those OSX disks out there wont run on a new Macbook Pro? Do you really think Apple would do that? They would make a change that makes all of the OS disks on shelves everywhere out there useless? I can see there being MINOR differences that it would adjust to AFTER loading. And even at that all you would have to do is clone it, and the install OSX 'over' it from the disk that came with the new one.

Seriously, it doesn't even make sense that you would ask. I'm talking about all the retail copy, the ones you obtain when you buy, say, a 2010 MBP used, but the disks didn't come with it, so you go BUY one of the thousands if not millions of OSX retail disks that AREN'T a special build and would still have to boot the system to the point that SOFTWARE UPDATE can adjust to the hardware it's installed on. Seriously think about it! it doesn't even make sense that they would make a change like that. It's not like you're upgrading from 10.4.x PPC to a 2010 MBP. Or for that matter upgrading from a hacked copy running on a PC. It's the same version and only ONE generation of hardware difference. It just doesn't make any sense. I can't say it enough times, it's just doesn't make any sense! I'm not saying that there could by minor "build" difference. But you're talking like 'service pack' level changes like this was Windows or something. And even a Windows Service Pack doesn't lead to that level of incompatibility.

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Yes, that is indeed what I am telling you.

Apple has been doing this for a long time. Your personal incredulity does not change that fact. I suggest you take the advice given in your own signature.

You can not adjust driver issues after loading, which is why this question is asked.

The rest of what you are talking about doesn't make sense, but I am not surprised with your limited understanding of the topic at hand.

It makes complete sense to ask. You simply do not understand why.

The discs you get when you buy a machine are not retail discs. They are discs custom to the machine you purchased. It *may* contain a vanilla build but not necessarily.

This is wrong on many levels.

First, a retail copy will not work unless it is a compatible build. Meaning, 10.6.3 retails disks would not work on the new MBPs if they were the vanilla 10D573 build.

Second, again, you cannot boot to an OS installation that lacks the necessary drivers for your hardware. In addition, those drivers cannot be installed via Software Update.

No matter how illogical it may be, this is still the reality of imaging Macs. Techs and sysadmins have been dealing with this for a long time. I am sorry you are so late to the party.

I don't know what world you live in, but here, hardware differences require different drivers. One generation is the difference between Core 2 Duo and i3, and 9400M and 320M. These require different drivers.

It doesn't matter if it makes sense. You still don't know what you are talking about. I don't know how many more times I can say this to you.

I again suggest you follow your own advice. You do not know what you are talking about. Until you do, I suggest you withdraw from this discussion. The only thing not making sense here is you.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It would work if you had 10.6.4 installed but we're not at that point yet. The latest hardware requires the special builds of 10.6.3 they ship with.

16. trondah thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like there's a new build, 10D2125. Meaning vanilla 10.6.3 won't work, thanks.

Absolutely, it's why I asked my question in the first place. If the new machines were delivered with vanilla 10.6.3 it would be no problem.

I agree, it might boot but probably not with perfect results. Would be nice to hear from somebody who tried though.

Is this a serious question? I don't have access to any more information than you have. So far I haven't been able to use one of the new machines yet, my own is delayed because of the volcano (I'm in Norway). Figured I'd ask on one of the largest boards to plan ahead, that was clearly a wrong decision. Never have I seen such a hostile group of people bashing someone asking a very valid and important question. Anybody doing imaging will need to know this information, NetBoot/NetInstall/Deploystudio setups will need to be updated with new images. Next time I'll ask on afp548 even though it's a low traffic board they are so much nicer.

@Eidorian

Thanks for confirming this and answering my original question.

17. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Well it was more of a statement than a question.

I am curious as to why you would say "I don't have access to any more information than you have." Above, I gave you an Apple KB that gives you the answer you want. Meaning, that information is available to everyone.

And you are right, anybody doing imaging will need to know this information. Which is why I personally keep HT1159 bookmarked along with a few others for quick access to that information.

That is why I have to wonder why you asked this question, considering you claim to be an ACSA and I know that you would have to cover deployment.

I wouldn't say you asked a stupid question, it is a great question but an ACSA shouldn't have to ask it on MR, especially when the answer you needed came from information provided by Apple and is available to everyone.

18. jbuk macrumors regular

19. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

This is out of your league.

20. jbuk macrumors regular

I understand the implications of a new OS X build upon those who work with HDD images and the like, but I was simply suggesting an alternative solution to the OP's problem. Obviously, enterprise environments can't use migration assistant for every HDD wipe they need to do, but I thought the OP's problem, that of transferring his old disk image to a new Mac, could at least be simplified by migrating all of the non-OS-specific files from the old HDD clone, which is something Migration Assistant does perfectly well.

21. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I would assume that the OP has ruled that out as an option for whatever reason. That assumption may be wrong of course.

22. trondah thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I am an ACSA and I know pretty much everything there is to know about OSX imaging having done several large customized setups of Deploystudio, yet I have never seen that link. It was never talked about during training and I have never seen anybody on afp548, bombich or here mention it, and I have not come across it by googling. It seems I did something terribly wrong by posting here, I'll make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'd rather restore the image of my old laptop and be up and running quickly instead of migrating files and settings which I could do in a number of ways that would take precious time from playing with my shiny new Mac.

23. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

The advice in my sig says nothing about asking why you're asking a stupid question. My only question was, does it make sense? and why would you ask a stupid question? It makes NO mention of not talking if you don't know the answer! :rolleyes:

I think you just came in here to stir things up and be a dick, and flaunt your ACSA. I don't really care if you're ACSA. I'm sure Apple would have said something if it were an issue. If you know so much, and have such great resources, work it out FOR YOURSELF! Obviously being ACSA doesn't make you any wiser about the subject. So why bother any of us about it?!

Based on your replies you missed what i was getting at all together. But here is an idea! Call them! or ask a Genius! Or even better yet, just take your disk image down to the store, and try cloning it over to the new macbook before you get it! OR maybe even WAIT TILL IT COMES, and just try it before you bother people about it. OR maybe you should have kept your old one till you knew the answer, so you could just migrate it over if it doesn't work out.

Instead of any of those viable solutions you come in here with your hypotheticals! and the get angry at people for not reading your stupid question. Then on top of that, you keep going on about you "credentials" i bet a trained monkey could get that! Some credentials if you can't even figure out such a simple thing, OR just wait to find out.

Or do you get some satisfaction out of being a jerk? :rolleyes:

24. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You do realize I am not the OP, right? I am not ACSA.

I didn't miss anything you were getting, you just weren't making any sense and clearly didn't know what you were talking about.

And please, don't post help advice for me. I am not the one who asked a question.

25. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

eh, what ever, you have a acronym you keep blabing about.

Still need help? Speak to an Apple Expert
    Arrange a phone call with one of our Apple Experts who specializes in your exact question. Talk to us now or later at your convenience. We'll even call you.
    Get started