2010 MBP Ticking/Freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dave Felix, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Hi All,

Lately my MBP has been freezing up a whole lot. I really noticed it when trying to do a restore on my phone, it would start as 10 minutes and then go to 2 hours. You can hear a ticking noise and then it freezes up. Would this be my hard driving failing? Has anyone replaced their hard drive and went to SSD?

Thanks

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sure sounds like HDD failure to me.

Sure, lots of people have. I suggest the Samsung 850 Evo. It's a nice fast drive, and it goes on sale often. Just be gentle with the SATA cable, it seems to be prone to failure in the 13" models.

3. strukt macrumors member

strukt

Clicking noise is almost always hard drive failure if you still are using a spinning disk. If not, something may be stuck in the fan.

First thing to do now is to secure your files ASAP. Then replace the drive with an SSD.

When you are done with that and have a new SSD in your Mac open the terminal and type: sudo trimforce enable

Good luck :)

4. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

The instructions for replacing the drive are here, along with the list of required screwdrivers: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Hard+Drive+Replacement/4305

Keep in mind that if you do decide to replace the drive, then you should make backups of your important files. You'll also need the OSX Installer. Maybe someone can help with additional info on this, because I think the Recovery process https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314 requires for the OSX to already be on the drive for it to work, or maybe it's UEFI-based if you've installed one of the past three versions of OSX.

One thing you can do is get OSX from the App Store, and then use DiskmakerX to make a Flash Drive installer out of the file. It's an automated process which can take over a half hour to make depending on the speed of the USB drive, and your hard drive.

5. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Yeah I have a portable HD for time machine so most of my important files are actually on it.

If I backup my files and then install the new SSD, can I just use recovery mode to copy the data to my hard drive.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 27, 2016 ---
    yeah I'll definitely need an image haha - thanks guys. I will probably aim for that Samsung 850 EVO that someone mentioned earlier.

6. archi_130w1 macrumors member

archi_130w1

That is what I did. I also went ahead and upped the ram to 8 gigs....and to think I was about purchase the 2016 rMB because it's the only semi updated Mac notebook out there.
    I have been very pleased with the 850 evo.

7. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

So the backup files from Time Machine is enough to place on a new SSD? sweet. Yeah, I upgraded to 8GB a while ago.

I wish I could upgrade to 16GB :)