2010 MBP - Upgrade Operating System, yes or no?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parkp81, Aug 28, 2015.

1. parkp81 macrumors member

I have a 2010 13" MBP and currently it has OSX Mavericks 10.9.5 running on it. I have not used it in quite sometime and just recently took it out of my closet, but was wondering if I should update the operating system or should I not due to performance issues? What are your thoughts?

I have upgraded the RAM to 8GB and installed a 128GB SSD.

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

It depends - are you happy with Mavericks GUI, features, and performance?
    Yosemite looks different and has some different features. Since you have a good amount of RAM and an SSD then you should be good to go for hardware. I held back from upgrading to Yosemite until 10.10.4 before upgrading my 2011 MBP. It went fine for me with no problems.

I would recommend doing a clone of your 10.9.5 system using Carbon Copy Cloner, Super Duper, or Disk Utility to an external drive so you have a fall back plan if things do not work out in Yosemite.

3. parkp81 thread starter macrumors member

That's a great suggestion! Did not think of making a clone just in case, I don't like the performance. I might just do the upgrade to see how things go, nothing to lose, just some time :)

4. W123a macrumors newbie

God no, stay on Mavericks. Yosemite doesn't even run that great on new MBP's. If you must upgrade just wait till El Capitan gets a final release.

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Yosemite runs great on my 2015 13" retina MacBook Pro. So I guess I will have to just disagree with you based on actual first hand experience.

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If you are unsure create a new partition on your internal drive and clean install 10.10.5 on the new partition. Boot to the new partition and set it up. By doing this you can see how well Yosemite performs. When you are done, reboot back to the primary partition and delete the new partition.

7. Smoothie macrumors 6502

Yosemite runs great on my 2009 13" MBP with 4 GB of RAM.

8. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I've had some annoying bugs with Yosemite that I didn't experience in Mavericks. I'm looking forward to El Capitan.

9. Totally Bored macrumors member

Totally Bored

Yosemite works great on my wife's 2013 13" Mac Book Pro with 4GB of RAM and my daughters 2011 13" Mac Book Pro also with 4GB of RAM.

10. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

Yosemite is working great on the two MBP's in our home.

11. meson macrumors regular

With the SSD upgrade, Yosemite will run just fine on that machine. I will say that I'm liking El Capitan a little better on my 2012 machine with an SSD and RAM upgrade. Even in the preview it seems to be a bit more stable than Yosemite was for me.

The new UI of Yosemite/El Capitan takes a bit of getting used to though. I still prefer the older UI. If Snow Leopard was supported by my hardware, I would probably be running it, but I think El Cap will be my favorite release since.

12. W123a macrumors newbie

It's quite a bit slower than Mavericks in general. Take a look at that huge thread about its choppy performance.

13. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

So you are going strictly by what others are saying? Like I said previously that Yosemite runs great on all my Mac computers which range from 2009 to 2015. Even my 2015 retina MacBook Pro does not have any discernible lag or chopiness. Yes, I have seen all the threads that are complaining about Yosemite.

14. W123a macrumors newbie

Not at all, just not a big fan of Yosemite, too choppy and un-optimized.

Wish i could have Mavericks back on my 2015. If you don't see the choppiness, you simply aren't sensitive to it. When you are used to 120+ hz on a desktop, sub 30 fps transition animations looks pretty bad.