2010 MBP video/hdmi output, anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ramphex, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

Does anyone use converter adapters on their 2010 MBPs to connect to s-video or HDMI compatible TVs? If so, what adapters do you guys use because I seem to have hard time finding any mini displayport to s-video or hdmi adapters with good reviews and decent price.

2. Ramphex thread starter macrumors 6502

Ramphex

I don't want to get like 225235 adapters and connect them together lol, I might as well cut the wires and splice them at that point. Is there anything legit? Damn apple and it's stupid new port that they haven't even made adapters for yet haha

3. Ramphex thread starter macrumors 6502

Ramphex

4. hypermog macrumors regular

5. Ramphex thread starter macrumors 6502

Ramphex

nice thanks man, now any solution for mini displayport to s-video?

6. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

If you read the feedback more carefully you'll see that this hdmi adapter does not output audio.

7. hypermog macrumors regular

BeamWalker, I have it and it works. Those people are talking about the pre-2010 MacBooks, which do not output audio.

8. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

thanks for posting this!

9. dcoux09 macrumors member

2010 MacBook / MacBook Pro's do NOT support S-video or composite video. I bought a 2009 MB and a mini-dvi to S-video cable, and it did not work. I went to the Apple store to trouble shoot, and geniuses looked up the specs on the Mac to find that it did not support S-video or composite video. I asked them if the new mac's did, and he said they did not. There seems to be no hope for S-video. As for HDMI, I bought this adapter from the store "HDE" on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-A...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275672122&sr=8-1

It supports both audio and video through the MDP. It doesn't look like the product advertised in the Amazon photo, it's all white, with a fatter end and comes in different packaging, but it works fine and is the cheapest available. If you want something from a name brand, go with the video display converter from Griffin:

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techn...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275672471&sr=1-1

It is sturdy, supports audio and video through HDMI, and has a DVI adapter if you ever need it. I bought the HDE one and the Griffin one, but I saw no difference in picture quality, so I returned the more expensive Griffin cable.

10. Ramphex thread starter macrumors 6502

Ramphex

the buy this links to that same adapter you purchased, the reason reviews are mixed is because it doesn't support audio on older mbps but does on 2010 models. Ordered mine should be here next week, I'll post up the updates once I get it.

11. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Can understand MDP to HDMI, but why on earth would you want to output to S-Video? It's awful, you'd much be better off using the notebook screen.

12. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I thought S-Video died years ago? :confused:

There is very little you will be able to do even if you could output a signal to S-Video, the quality would be abysmal.

13. dcoux09 macrumors member

Old TV's have no HDMI

14. Ramphex thread starter macrumors 6502

Ramphex

unfortunately I don't have any hdtvs and stuck with old tvs that only have s-video and rca plugs