2010 mbp white screen at the worst time....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thirdeye313, Mar 5, 2014.

1. thirdeye313 macrumors newbie

thirdeye313

Good evening everyone. long time reader first time poster. tonight i went and bought a new rmbp (yay). brought it home all excited to move my pics media and files over and found out my 2010 mbp 15' 2.4 has something wrong with it. when i turn it on it goes to a white screen and nothing else. after this happened i called my brother for some advice and i got it to boot in safe mode. but something is off because the screen is some times glitchy and it just doesn't feel right.. honestly i just want the files from the old laptop. if it breaks oh well kinda :(.. but I'm starting to think something else is wrong. if anyone has any advice or knowledge of this issue it would be greatly appreciated..

p.s.
    this new 13' rmbp is pretty damn amazing btw.. :) thanks!

----------

and also the 2010 was working fine last night!! nothing irregular about it.. this is why i am confused!!

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

You could put your old computer's HDD in an enclosure and transfer the files to your new computer through that.

EDIT: If you got your computer into safe mode, you can just transfer your files and leave it alone...

3. thirdeye313 thread starter macrumors newbie

thirdeye313

Thanks I set up an appt at Apple for tomorrow hopefully they can help...:confused:

4. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Booting into safe mode allows you to log into your computer without using the kernel cache. When you boot using safe mode, only the kernel extensions that are absolutely necessary for proper usage, are loaded. It also checks the start up volume for errors and disables login items.

Many times, simply booting into safe mode and then booting back into regular mode, can fix the problem. You shouldn't use safe mode indefinitely. Also, when using safe mode, the experience tends to feel a little "off." This is because only the essential kernel extensions are loaded, which does not include many of the kernel extensions that exist for system optimization. So try restarting your computer outside of safe mode and see what happens.

You can also run Apple Hardware Test by restarting your computer and pressing "D" during startup until you see a spinning globe graphic appear on the screen. Make sure you have all peripherals disconnected, select your wireless network and enter its password, then run Apple Hardware Test and see what happens. Just know that Apple Hardware Test can take quite a bit of time to finish.

5. thirdeye313 thread starter macrumors newbie

thirdeye313

thanks! I'm trying to restart it back in normal mode and see what happens...

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Just copy the files from your backup... oops.

Your priority should be getting your files. If you bring it to Apple and they can repair it, they will not guarantee for your data. So even for that you should get the data out first.