2010 Modfied Macbook Pro vs 2014 Refurb MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by interdit, Feb 8, 2015.

1. interdit macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 15" MacBook Pro from 2010 that I've had to get repaired twice, post AppleCare expiration. Both times the logic better had to be cleaned up, the first time I needed to replace the hard drive (with a 1TB drive), the second time, more recently, there were some more logic board issues (corrosion this time) with some minor screen issues that were fixed. I thought it was dead and was this close to getting it replaced, and then my crazy repair guy texted me in the middle of the night to tell me he tinkered around and fixed.

Anyways, despite this new lease on life, I'm not sure how much longer til this thing breaks down again. I'm a web/print designer, so I use it for coding and Adobe software. I'm debating getting a 13" mid 2014 MBP Retina from the Refurb section on Apple, or seeing if my current thing lasts until the next gen, which is projected for July/August. It would be nice to get the newer one when it comes out, but my worry is this thing dying for good a month before then, and getting the refurb then. Thoughts?

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If your current device is good, I don't see why it wouldn't last until mid-summer. If you really want the next version, then you will be annoyed if you missed your chance. I had a bunch of repairs done and they stopped coming back, so I'd wait a bit.

The only problem is that lately the updates have been delayed so you might have to wait longer. The broadwell update will be minor in CPU but have better graphics. Realistically, the 2014 model is a big improvement over your 2010 model so you wouldn't lose much if you had to get one now.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You don't really have much to lose by waiting. Refurbished units may drop somewhat in price when the new ones come out. Within 2 months of new ones, you'll typically see the new models show up refurbished as well. Just remember summer is a guess. They could be out earlier if parts permit, or later.