Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentcooper2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
i'm upgrading from my late '08 unibody 15" macbook pro. it's got a 2.8ghz processor.

i'm considering these two, as they are close to the same price:

April 2010: core i7, 2.66ghz, applecare for 2 more years

Feb 2011: 2ghz, core i7, no applecare, same hard drive and ram as the 2010 model.

i mostly use my mac for surfing the web, photoshop and recording via garageband or logic.

not sure which one would be better to go with. please help me decide!

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Obviously, the 2011 models are quad core versus the dual core 2010 models. IF you're going to use Photoshop and Garageband, I'd go with the quad-core if it isn't a huge price difference.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
the quad versus dual core is important, as is the advantage of the sandy bridge generation over the older generation. that is also a huge factor to consider if price is negligible.

agentcooper2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
ok, just wanted to make sure the 2010 models weren't more solid than the new ones. i've been reading about all of these problems posted about heat, displays going out, etc on the new one's....i'll go ahead and go with the 2011 and maybe put an ssd in it after a few months.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
ok, just wanted to make sure the 2010 models weren't more solid than the new ones. i've been reading about all of these problems posted about heat, displays going out, etc on the new one's....i'll go ahead and go with the 2011 and maybe put an ssd in it after a few months.

i was in the same boat as you last month and i made a similar thread and majority said the quad core was the better choice, my comparisons were the same price so money had no impact on the deal, i went with the 2011 quad core and i have been loving it so far, I seen a few other threads with people asking this question they all had similar responses

you should still be able to get apple care, i dont think you will be disappointed with the 2011

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.