Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd like to know if iPhone 3.0 and the 2010 Prius will allow syncing of contacts from the phone to the car's internal phone system. With improved bluetooth connectivity and new 3rd party APIs for applications, it should be interesting to see if Toyota takes advantage of it.

Anyone else? Thoughts?

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Even without all the upgrade Toyota should have been able to do this already.

My first gen iPhone with 1.x software synced all contacts really well onto my 05 BMW.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You're stating the obvious here, but yes, other cars and phones can do this with other cars/the prius, respectively... no need to rub it in.

Well, the point does seem to be valid that the SDK and an App Store app aren't really needed at all for this, nor are any new features in FW3.0, including the improvements to the BT stack, which are all things you brought up in your original post...

Anyway, I hope they do, since it's a good feature and it should be out there in more vehicles.

Getting a more detailed answer than that, right now, is probably going to be hard unless you're really lucky and an auto journalist or Toyota engineer who happens to be a forum member stumbles on the thread....

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
As an '06 Prius owner, I'm jealous that the '10 will have Bluetooth audio streaming built in (presumably A2DP?)--according to CNet's recent review. If so, then with iPhone OS 3.0, it should be possible to stream audio to the Prius!

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
The 3.0 Bluetooth APIs require any discoverable device to be part of the "Made For iPod" program in order to work (or even discovered). So to take full advantage of it, Toyota would have to send their Bluetooth through the certification process.

However, what you're looking to accomplish should work fine out of the box on even 1.x OS. It's working in just about every other car. No need for 3.0.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
yes, other cars and phones can do this with other cars/the prius, respectively... no need to rub it in.
I'd still get the '10 Prius over any other car. 50MPG is a lot more useful than A2DP any day.

Proud owner of a '05 Prius.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX

off in the wood

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
:confused: The article you linked to is talking about the old Honda Insight (which is no longer being built).

Of course the article is talking about the older model of the FIT, it was posted back in July and you figure he was driving in the '07.....and now the 2010, or is it the 2009 model is coming out.....

Besides, the Honda Fit only gets a low 30-something mpg. That's no good. I get that when I accelerate mid-level.

The article is sort of a joke. I mean who drives that way, aside from the few "hyper-milers".

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
The 3.0 Bluetooth APIs require any discoverable device to be part of the "Made For iPod" program in order to work (or even discovered). So to take full advantage of it, Toyota would have to send their Bluetooth through the certification process.

However, what you're looking to accomplish should work fine out of the box on even 1.x OS. It's working in just about every other car. No need for 3.0.

Not sure where you go that from. I had a ford focus rental the other week with sync and A2DP worked perfectly fine and this was made well before apple introduced it for the iPhone

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
I'd still get the '10 Prius over any other car. 50MPG is a lot more useful than A2DP any day.

Proud owner of a '05 Prius.

to each their own...i love my jeeps and if i ever buy a car it will be a sportscar for sure.

but i am lucky in that i do not commute so MPG doesn't matter at all to me...its about the pleasure and experience of driving...

on topic, though, you should be able to sync just fine but should probably wait to find/ask an owner once released and not the salespeople since they will tell you anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.