2010 Pros,price is dropping to enticing levels

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsbuggs, Feb 27, 2011.

1. bsbuggs macrumors regular

I have been scouring CL and have seen quite a few 2010 mac pros 15 and 17 just sitting there. They started off in the 2200 range and now most people have adjusted their prices to be around 1900.
    This is getting tempting to pick up an under warranty i7, 2.66, with software for a good deal.

I have one in mind where he has the following: 2.66--i7, 128 *apple SSD, 8 GB , and the 15" (1400-900) matte screenram, and loaded with software.

He is at about 1900.00 and seems pretty firm.
    Its darn tempting to buy that screen is killing me I wish it was the 1680.

would an offer of 1650 be too bad, dont want to disrespect the guy....I hate lowballers!!

2. C1raider macrumors member

Check the benchmarks on the new models, and compare it to what you're considering

3. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

If someone lowballed me that much I would not answer or make damn sure you knew it was too low. That's me. I hate lowballers and that's $250 lopped off the top, especially if you know he seems firm.

Whether or not the unit is actually worth 1,900 is a different story. Just saying.

4. bsbuggs thread starter macrumors regular

I totally agree about the lowballing. It makes the deal impossible to pass up at 1650..since we can get teh new macs for around 2200----now thats with NO SSD, NO upgraded ram.

It is reaching the point for me to consider how much is the NEW processor and video card really worth.
    Thanks for the thoughts.

5. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

don't get to tied up about finding one with the proper amount of ram. Its down to like $60-$70 bucks for an 8 GB kit if you find it on sale. I think i paid $52 bucks for my 8 GB kit, PNY via newegg, and it works great.

Also, the SSD isn't that big of a deal either. newegg has OCZ 120 GB SSD for $170 after rebate, and thats surely a better SSD than apples.

With the warranty, make sure that you change it over to being in your name, with applecare, and if possible get a copy of the receipt. Because, it is always possible for the seller to call applecare and cash out the remaining value of the coverage after you purchase the machine.

Also, remember that a good deal of macs that come "loaded" with software are just using pirated copies of that software, and may not actually have a legit license. Just keep that in mind when looking to buy

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Why not buy a 15" base quad core? New warranty, new machine, and the processor is much faster. You can add RAM and an SSD if you must later.

7. bsbuggs thread starter macrumors regular

I think im gonna head over to the apple store and just pull the trigger on the new quad core. Im guess the savings of 300 or so makes it idioic not to upgrade to the new processor.
    thanks for the help guys

8. ozred macrumors 6502

Buying a used laptop off a total stranger is a crap shoot. I'd never risk it when Apple has a high value refurb program in place. You _DO_ get what you pay for in this instance.

9. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

I bought a 17" 2.53, 500g baseline 2010 brand new in box sealed for $1600 right before the refresh (everyone new the refresh was coming tho).

10. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

If you don't mind me asking, from where did you find that deal?

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I concur.

12. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

seriously...

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Loaded with software pretty much means it's all pirated… for all intents and purposes means it's loaded with nothing.

If it came with all the software disks, the seller probably wouldn't bother listing it as loaded with software. :rolleyes: