2010 Redux

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
So…here's a shot of Opera 10 in 2010. Back then this was the browser I used because I could customize it to my liking. I moved on to other browser when Opera 10 stopped being viable.

201010160916_486.jpg

I returned to it sometime late last year but at a considerable version jump. But Opera seems to hit CPU harder on Mojave for some reason and this week that's what I upgraded my MBP and Mini to.

Yesterday I discovered Vivaldi…and what do you know? It's 2010 again! Of course this is only on my Intels, I still use T4Fx on my PowerPC Macs, but it's nice being back in the same spot. Only took 10 years!

2020-03-13 11.36.08.jpg

repairedCheese

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2020
Opera 12 was my main browser for the longest time, long after it got sold and turn into a Chromium browser. So when I heard that people who had been responsible for Opera were making a new browser, I got really excited. Yes, Vivaldi is also using Chromium, but it does such a better job, and it feels like a proper continuation of the old versions of Opera.

The mobile version is pretty great on Android too!

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Opera 12 was my main browser for the longest time, long after it got sold and turn into a Chromium browser. So when I heard that people who had been responsible for Opera were making a new browser, I got really excited. Yes, Vivaldi is also using Chromium, but it does such a better job, and it feels like a proper continuation of the old versions of Opera.

The mobile version is pretty great on Android too!
I just find it bizzare that ten years later I am once again browsing the same way on a browser created by one of the persons that created the browser I was using ten years ago.

Opera back then was great and Vivaldi is evoking the same appreciation out of me.

repairedCheese

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2020
I just find it bizzare that ten years later I am once again browsing the same way on a browser created by one of the persons that created the browser I was using ten years ago.

Opera back then was great and Vivaldi is evoking the same appreciation out of me.
It even imported my old Opera 12 profile perfectly. Opera had odd things like individual bookmark creation dates, something that never became common, and Vivaldi supports everything. Well, other than the built-in mail/rss client. I actually use to use that. I didn't use the built in bittorrent software. I think I would have had a problem with how bloated Opera was, if it hadn't been faster than any other browser at the time.

Amethyst1

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2015
Until some point in 2017 I was using a Nokia N900 as my smartphone. Its Debian/Ubuntu-derived OS (Maemo) was a geek's dream. Opera Mobile 12 was my browser of choice on it. I've actually wanted to give Vivaldi a try for quite some time now.

bobesch

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Vivaldi ... never heard before! Thanks for telling about that.
Opera had been my browser of choice for Win98SE. Came somehow out of focus, when I moved to WinXP after 2004 ...
I used Opera for video-streaming lately on my MBP4,1 since Safari did always fail with MS Silverdings, but finally skipped Opera in favor of Firefox, since Firefox proofed to be the most reliable platform for all tasks I threw at it.
Really looking forward to check Vivaldi !

PS: Eudora Mail had been another precious of that time, but unfortunately ceased to exist or even work now (the old os9-versions)

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Your 17" MBP A1151 is immaculate! :D
LOL, that's my old A1013 which was replaced a few years back with a new A1013. My 17" MBP didn't come along until about 2016 or so.
- - Post merged: - -

That's a 15" A1260 ;) *hides*
Well, the bottom one is. :D

@bobesch sent it to me.

Vivaldi ... never heard before! Thanks for telling about that.
Opera had been my browser of choice for Win98SE. Came somehow out of focus, when I moved to WinXP after 2004 ...
I used Opera for video-streaming lately on my MBP4,1 since Safari did always fail with MS Silverdings, but finally skipped Opera in favor of Firefox, since Firefox proofed to be the most reliable platform for all tasks I threw at it.
Really looking forward to check Vivaldi !

PS: Eudora Mail had been another precious of that time, but unfortunately ceased to exist or even work now (the old os9-versions)
Give Vivaldi a try. It's pretty good.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
That's a 15" A1260 ;) *hides*
Looks like we were both wrong. :p

LOL, that's my old A1013 which was replaced a few years back with a new A1013. My 17" MBP didn't come along until about 2016 or so.

Well, the bottom one is. :D

@bobesch sent it to me.

Give Vivaldi a try. It's pretty good.
Cool, either way it's in pretty good condition. :)

I did consider Vivaldi at one point but then I read this blog that accused the developers of failing to respect privacy issues and then got cold feet. I'd be interested in your opinions on the writer's accusations.

Reactions: z970mp

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Looks like we were both wrong. :p

Cool, either way it's in pretty good condition. :)

I did consider Vivaldi at one point but then I read this blog that accused the developers of failing to respect privacy issues and then got cold feet. I'd be interested in your opinions on the writer's accusations.
I don't believe we can expect anyone to respect browser privacy issues. Staying offline is the only certainty. I make a reasonable effort to secure my privacy but just like being out in public I can't expect to be completely anonymous.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Given they list Chrome and Firefox as worse, I'm honestly not too worried.
I'm a longtime user of Google and it's services and I've been a email user on Yahoo since 1999. Neither of them are known for their privacy practices. I tend to either limit my info or give them bogus information and neither of them serve as my primary email account.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm a longtime user of Google and it's services and I've been a email user on Yahoo since 1999. Neither of them are known for their privacy practices. I tend to either limit my info or give them bogus information and neither of them serve as my primary email account.
Have you seen this documentary about Google's privacy practices - or rather their flouting of them? If not, I recommend it.

Amethyst1

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2015
I ran that before my Nook HD died. Version 7.1, I think.

It was great. So much better than iOS... I can only imagine what a Librem 5 would feel like. :)
Android's still a pretty weird Linux "distro" at heart. My personal favourite as far as mobile OSes are concerned is Sailfish OS - developed by former Nokia guys'n'girls, beautiful UI, no Google stuff. However, it doesn't currently run on any phone I'm interested in and I'd still need the Android runtime for some apps, but I'm looking forward to being able to leave Android behind for good one day.

postmarketOS's idea also looks great but the project is still in very early stages.

Reactions: z970mp

amagichnich

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
So…here's a shot of Opera 10 in 2010. Back then this was the browser I used because I could customize it to my liking. I moved on to other browser when Opera 10 stopped being viable.

View attachment 898969

I returned to it sometime late last year but at a considerable version jump. But Opera seems to hit CPU harder on Mojave for some reason and this week that's what I upgraded my MBP and Mini to.

Yesterday I discovered Vivaldi…and what do you know? It's 2010 again! Of course this is only on my Intels, I still use T4Fx on my PowerPC Macs, but it's nice being back in the same spot. Only took 10 years!

View attachment 898970
control bar at the bottom :cool: I've been using Vivaldi for quite some time now as it is the only browser that allows me to do that. still waiting for T4F being able to do that :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.