Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
The $400 was for the developer phone.

The bigger difference with Android development cost is, millions of programmers with PCs don't need to go out and buy a Mac.

You're assuming all those developers are lining up to develop for Android.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Is it necessary for Apple's iPhone to "fail" for any other phone to "succeed" or vice versa. I find it interesting that there's a perception among some that a device that one buys must win some sort of competition of features or status elevation. It's certainly not unique to this forum, it seems to be the same for most pricey "things" like cameras, cars, watches, computers and the like.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Is it necessary for Apple's iPhone to "fail" for any other phone to "succeed" or vice versa. I find it interesting that there's a perception among some that a device that one buys must win some sort of competition of features or status elevation. It's certainly not unique to this forum, it seems to be the same for most pricey "things" like cameras, cars, watches, computers and the like.

That's just how the world works, a lot of it stems from jealousy and envy.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I always find it interesting when people line up lists of features (iPhone vs. droid, iPhone vs. Pre, etc) and compare line item to line item. Interestingly, in many cases the iPhone loses the line-item feature war - but few people seem to leave it. I don't think this is entirely about the app store - although this is an element. I think it is about the total, integrated user experience. The iPhone looks and behaves like a system designed by a single cohesive team, unlike say, Windows Mobile. Pieces and parts of the iPhone generally behave exactly like you'd expect them to (with a few exceptions). I think that the real challenge to the iPhone will come when someone comes up with that same, seamless user experience (maybe this is droid, maybe not). The point is - until you hold it in your hand, make calls, make an appointment, send email, flip between apps, etc. - it is almost impossible to gauge a winner just from the features list.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
The $400 was for the developer phone.

The bigger difference with Android development cost is, millions of programmers with PCs don't need to go out and buy a Mac.

This is the big issue for me and why I may make the switch. I'm a Web Developer and I'd like to get into mobile development, but I would never ever purchase a Mac computer. I don't have $1,000+ to blow on a computer that can't do what my PC can. No offense to you Goona or any other Mac fan.

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Who said anything about "fail"? It is all about competition. How is that a bad thing? :confused:

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
You're assuming all those developers are lining up to develop for Android.

It's simple economics.

Fact: no one is going to rush into an industry unless there is economic profit. (ie, apple will never give you free phones, they want your money)

A good example of this is green technology. 20 years ago, this sector was pretty much non-existant because energy prices were pretty stable and low. But all of a sudden, we have a peak in energy prices, and this makes green technology very profitable. And all of a sudden, you have a green tech boom, like First Solar.

As soon as developers realize they can make money buy selling apps, they will. When it comes to $$$$, they're not gonna discriminate. Develop for everyone as long as there is demand.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
I always find it interesting when people line up lists of features (iPhone vs. droid, iPhone vs. Pre, etc) and compare line item to line item. Interestingly, in many cases the iPhone loses the line-item feature war - but few people seem to leave it. I don't think this is entirely about the app store - although this is an element. I think it is about the total, integrated user experience. The iPhone looks and behaves like a system designed by a single cohesive team, unlike say, Windows Mobile. Pieces and parts of the iPhone generally behave exactly like you'd expect them to (with a few exceptions). I think that the real challenge to the iPhone will come when someone comes up with that same, seamless user experience (maybe this is droid, maybe not). The point is - until you hold it in your hand, make calls, make an appointment, send email, flip between apps, etc. - it is almost impossible to gauge a winner just from the features list.

It's not just about the App Store, the iphone was still hot before the app store. The App store is just one element in the great ecosystem that the iphone has that millions of people are attracted to.

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Good point. You'd think apple would make an emulator for iphone development for PCs. It should not be required that you have to buy a mac...

This is the big issue for me and why I may make the switch. I'm a Web Developer and I'd like to get into mobile development, but I would never ever purchase a Mac computer. I don't have $1,000+ to blow on a computer that can't do what my PC can. No offense to you Goona or any other Mac fan.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I also think that the iPhone is going to hit a tough spot in the next year or two. The AppStore is what made the iPhone what it is and personally the only reason I own the phone. It is what will also hurt the iPhone in the future. All of those apps are designed to only work on the iPhone's screen size and resolution. Every single app would need to be changed for the iPhone to ever change it's screen. This is why people are disappointed with the iPhone's changes the past couple years. There isn't much they can do besides bump up the internal specs or make minor OS tweaks. They can never create another phone that runs the iPhone OS and uses the current AppStore. I'm not saying the iPhone is going to fail, there is just going to be some LEGIT other options for phone's with an app store within a year or two that have more flexibility then the iPhone will ever have.

I personally will never leave the iPhone until another phone can come somewhat close to the AppStore. My prediction is that in about a year from now, this will come true.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
You are grasping at straws here: google has a huge developer following...

Google does but this in NO way applies to Android.

I also think that the iPhone is going to hit a tough spot in the next year or two. The AppStore is what made the iPhone what it is and personally the only reason I own the phone. It is what will also hurt the iPhone in the future. All of those apps are designed to only work on the iPhone's screen size and resolution. Every single app would need to be changed for the iPhone to ever change it's screen. This is why people are disappointed with the iPhone's changes the past couple years. There isn't much they can do besides bump up the internal specs or make minor OS tweaks. They can never create another phone that runs the iPhone OS and uses the current AppStore. I'm not saying the iPhone is going to fail, there is just going to be some LEGIT other options for phone's with an app store within a year or two that have more flexibility then the iPhone will ever have.

I personally will never leave the iPhone until another phone can come somewhat close to the AppStore. My prediction is that in about a year from now, this will come true.

And based on your logic, Android is always going to be in a tough spot. Why? Because Android phones are ALL different. Different screen sizes, different features (physical keyboards on some, not others), vastly different processor speeds, different available RAM, etc. Android phones are already drastically different. HTC makes some, Motorola makes some, etc. So if you think Apple is going to hit a hard spot because they cannot change applications to work on other devices, Android is certainly screwed in the butt because there are already a multitude of devices with different feature sets.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
And based on your logic, Android is always going to be in a tough spot. Why? Because Android phones are ALL different. Different screen sizes, different features (physical keyboards on some, not others), vastly different processor speeds, different available RAM, etc. Android phones are already drastically different. HTC makes some, Motorola makes some, etc. So if you think Apple is going to hit a hard spot because they cannot change applications to work on other devices, Android is certainly screwed in the butt because there are already a multitude of devices with different feature sets.

I can understand the problem with touch screen vs. hard keys, but I'm sure that can be coded into the app. As far as screen sizes, as long as you develop the app from the beginning to check this then you are fine. I develop software for the web and it is being displayed on many more different types of screens then any phone OS would. As long as they come out with some general requirements for screen sizes, then object placement on the screen can all be relative assuming it is coded that way. The problem with the iPhone apps is that they aren't coded that way.

Edit: I don't want you or anyone else getting the wrong idea here. I love my iPhone and there isn't anythign else on the market now that I would ever even consider switching to. I just think that the iPhone is severely limited to the advancements it can make due to the App Store.

TapHappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Good point. You'd think apple would make an emulator for iphone development for PCs. It should not be required that you have to buy a mac...

Dude that is crazy! Of course Apple is going to insist on it's platform. To me it doesn't matter. If you are a for profit developer, the dev kit expense (mac, pc, psp, sun, linux, whatever) is the cost of doing business. If I stand to make say $20,000+ and my hard cash outlay is $1500, that is worth the risk. Buying a Mac is simply a part of the opportunity cost.

I for one wouldn't walk away from $20K just because I have to buy a Mac, but that's me. If, however, I'm freeware or opensource, developer, then the $1500 MAY not be worth it.

Note: you can get a used mac mini for $300, use a standard PC keyboard, mouse and monitor.

I bet Apple has sold a LOT of PC guys Mac LOL! (And they are now Mac fans)

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I can understand the problem with touch screen vs. hard keys, but I'm sure that can be coded into the app. As far as screen sizes, as long as you develop the app from the beginning to check this then you are fine. I develop software for the web and it is being displayed on many more different types of screens then any phone OS would. As long as they come out with some general requirements for screen sizes, then object placement on the screen can all be relative assuming it is coded that way. The problem with the iPhone apps is that they aren't coded that way.

You are still missing the major one: speed and resource requirements. Apple makes the hardware and software for the iPhone. Android phones are created by various companies which means there is a chance for greater variation in hardware which leads to more problems. Quite a few Android apps struggle, like WAY struggle on my G1. Also if you read Android app reviews you will often see "Does NOT work on HTC Hero!" or "Crashes right away on MyTouch!!" Different hardware, different variations of Android, and thus problems.

And Apple could EASILY make the iPhone OS support different screen sizes. What does your computer do when you play a game that isn't your default resolution? It adjusts. So if a phone with a larger screen comes out, the resolution is adjusted and the game is stretched for example.

I hobby code on both the iPhone and Android (registered developer on both platforms) and I know what I just described is more than possible. Games have been doing this since the beginning of PC's. Different resolutions? Different screens? The OS can handle scaling of the display. It is not built into the App. The app runs at a set resolution, and the OS scales to fit the display. Easy as that.

TapHappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2009
As long as they come out with some general requirements for screen sizes, then object placement on the screen can all be relative assuming it is coded that way. The problem with the iPhone apps is that they aren't coded that way.

I think the variety of processors, screen sizes, keyboard types, etc. is one of the reasons why Java Micro, Windows Mobile, and Brew never really caught on. It SUCKED as a developer to support all of these. The amount of resources required to create, test, and support all of these variations and issues are not trivial.

Apple on the other hand has far more control. If and when the iTablet comes out it can easily build in an UI container to run iPhone apps in.

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Google does but this in NO way applies to Android.

usually, this is a positive thing..

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Dude that is crazy! Of course Apple is going to insist on it's platform. To me it doesn't matter. If you are a for profit developer, the dev kit expense (mac, pc, psp, sun, linux, whatever) is the cost of doing business. If I stand to make say $20,000+ and my hard cash outlay is $1500, that is worth the risk. Buying a Mac is simply a part of the opportunity cost.

I for one wouldn't walk away from $20K just because I have to buy a Mac, but that's me. If, however, I'm freeware or opensource, developer, then the $1500 MAY not be worth it.

Note: you can get a used mac mini for $300, use a standard PC keyboard, mouse and monitor.

I bet Apple has sold a LOT of PC guys Mac LOL! (And they are now Mac fans)

Why do you you guys assume that a majority of developers work on Macs? maybe for iphone apps, but thats a given.

In general, there are more developers with the skill set to develop apps for PC's, who hate Macs and would never use one. Google now has given those Mac haters an environment to work in.
The world does not revolve around apple.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Why do you you guys assume that a majority of developers work on Macs? maybe for iphone apps, but thats a given.

In general, there are more developers with the skill set to develop apps for PC's, who hate Macs and would never use one. Google now has given those Mac haters an environment to work in.
The world does not revolve around apple.

Most developers go where the money is. If a developer wants to enter the mobile device market, chances are they would suck it up and use Mac if there is great profit potential.

Heck I work with a PC guy who coded an iPhone Application.

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Most developers go where the money is. If a developer wants to enter the mobile device market, chances are they would suck it up and use Mac if there is great profit potential.

I don't think it's as black and white as you say it is.
I have friends that develop video games for EA sports who say they would not develop for any Mac product. (obviously this is not company policy as there are a lot of EA games on the app store)

a simple fact is that a majority of people who have the skill set to develop apps use PC's, and not Macs. They now have an environment to develop and sell their products without having to "switch sides"

TapHappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2009

WOW you missed my WHOLE POINT. If we are talkin' MONEY, the computer doesn't matter, The SOLUTION matters. I've use Sun boxes, PC's, Linux, Mac's, whatever I need to get the job done. As a matter of fact I bought my first Mac to develop for the Apple Newton back in 93. I have friends that write games for the Sony PS3. They had to purchase the hardware kit from Sony. Point is if you want to play in the game you have to get the equipment required by the device maker. Simple as that.

Making a business decision base on your love or hate for any given platform is not sound business logic.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone said that a majority of developers work on Macs. WOW, hate can really blur clear thinking. Too much of that going around these days.

charliehustle

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009

So by your logic, apple app developers will start to develop apps for android phones..
so what's the problem with that?

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
WOW you missed my WHOLE POINT. If we are talkin' MONEY, the computer doesn't matter, The SOLUTION matters. I've use Sun boxes, PC's, Linux, Mac's, whatever I need to get the job done. As a matter of fact I bought my first Mac to develop for the Apple Newton back in 93. I have friends that write games for the Sony PS3. They had to purchase the hardware kit from Sony. Point is if you want to play in the game you have to get the equipment required by the device maker. Simple as that.

Making a business decision base on your love or hate for any given platform is not sound business logic.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone said that a majority of developers work on Macs. WOW, hate can really blur clear thinking. Too much of that going around these days.

the point I was trying to make is that, most developers do not work on Macs, and now, they can make applications without having to purchase a mac, regardless of the price..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.