2010 ssd speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Xgm541, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

I have the 2010 model with only 64gb ssd. I wanted to upgrade. I saw the 128gb model on ebay for $200. Im just unsure if this is going to be a smart purchase. Is the toshiba model slower or faster than the samsung model? I know in the 2011 lineup, the samsung is faster. But is this the case for the 2010 model?

link to the ebay link...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-128G-SS...607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a66743b7f

Will the OWC SSD void my warranty? And finally, does osx lion support trim on OWC drives, or is that only for apple branded ones?

2. rkheyfets macrumors regular

The Samsung drives are faster 2010 and 2011.. i have the Toshiba one in mine and its plenty fast enough in day to day actives you wont really notice the difference

as for trim it is only supported on apple shipped SSDs as they have a special firmware

as far as i know the OWC SSD shouldn't void your warranty but not 100% sure

3. Xgm541 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know day-to-day tasks wont make a difference I was just asking out of curiosity. I am leaningmore towards the OWC one simply because it is a reputable source.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Technically, installing the OWC SSD would void your warranty since it involves opening the case, but if you reinsert the Apple SSD before sending it in for repairs chances are they wouldn't care. Lion only supports TRIM on Apple-sourced drives, but there are hacks out there to get it to work on other drives.

The Toshiba is faster on random reads and writes, and the Samsung on sequential reads and writes. The OWC drives are slightly faster at most tasks than either the Samung or the Toshiba. You likely won't notice much difference with any of the three. The main advantage of OWC is higher capacity (they offer 240GB drives that fit the 2010 11").

5. rkheyfets macrumors regular

opening the case does not void your warranty.. for example on a macbook pro that's how you change the ram

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Unlike the Pro, however, nothing is user-serviceable on the Air (at least not technically). RAM is soldered, and the SSD isn't meant to be replaced.

7. rkheyfets macrumors regular

While this is true just opening the case doesn't void your warranty