2010 unibody MacBook ssd upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adnoh, Dec 18, 2010.

1. adnoh, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I did a search but could find anything on this.

I have a 2010 2.4 ghz MacBook and wondered if I can replace the hard drive with an ssd? I have heard this is not possible on White MacBooks.

I'm thinking of going for the corsair force series, is this any good?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. adnoh thread starter macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I am in the uk so I dont think i can get OWC?

I just wanted o make sure there is nothing about the macbook that cant handle ssd? Nothing in the firmware prevents it or anything like that? Would apple have deactivated ssd support in the Mb and made it a MBP only feature?

Thanks

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is nothing that prevents you from using an SSD in a MacBook. No firmware issues or stuff like that. SSD is just a normal 2.5" disk.

Corsair Force is good too, it uses the same controller as OWC

5. adnoh thread starter macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Ok, I did a more thorough search of the forums and have found lots more info but am now confused more than ever!

Good SSDs : Corsair Force Intel X25-M and OCZ Vertex

OSX doesnt support TRIM so i need something that has longevity and reliability without TRIM. Apparently the Sandforce controller fares better without trim.

Im really not sure which SSD from the ones mentioned above I should go for!?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Corsair Force and OCZ Vertex 2 for instance have a SandForce controller. Intel SSDs don't.

7. adnoh thread starter macrumors 6502a

adnoh

A lot of people on this forum have the intel ssd and they seem to be happy with them.

It would appear that the intel drive, whilst not the fastest in raw read/write speed, is actually very fast in real world performance due to its random read/write speed.

I was actually set on an intel SSD but since it doesnt have a Sandforce controller Im not sure.

Its comes down to Intel X25 vs Corsair Force and thats lots of peoples experience vs having a sandforce controller imo.

Is sandforce really that important or is an Intell SSD a good all round choice?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/152?vs=125

Intel isn't that much faster in random read and is actually much slower in random write. The price of Intels is usually higher than comparable SF based drives so I don't see the point of paying more. Intel used to be the best but that was like year ago when it was launched. SF based drives are the best now, especially for Macs.

9. adnoh thread starter macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Thanks for the help, I've decided to go for the OCZ Vertex 2E as lots of people are happy with them.

Also thinking of upgrading RAM using Corsair value select DDR3. Is that good/compatible with my MB? Anything I should be wary of?

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can you post a link to the RAM? It's impossible to say without seeing the full specs

11. adnoh thread starter macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Just been on the OCZ forums to see what people have to say and WHOA! OCZ + MB is not a good combo.

See here, here and here.

May stick with intel after all....

And I was talking about this ram.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've heard a lot good about them too. Maybe Corsair is better though.

That RAM is 1333MHz so not sure how your Mac would like that. I would buy from Crucial instead