I've recently seen a few posts from people that are pondering to buy now, or wait till the next iMac to come out. I'm in the same boat. In January, I will need to decide on getting the new BTO 2.93 GHz, or holding out till the 2011 iMac is released. My uses are mostly for programming, some video editing and encoding, and casual gaming (Mac Steam + Bootcamp). I already use an early 2009 iMac (3.06 GHz), which I'm planning to either sell or hand off to my wife (she's not convinced she wants it yet). If you go by the Buyers Guide time lines, the refresh is due somewhere in the March time frame. I know those are just estimates, but that would put it on or near the same time for the next iPad as well. Seems that would not be likely since Apple likes to space product releases out. Furthermore, it might make better sense for Apple to wait until Summer to do a combined launch of Lion and the new iMac. It also gives Apple more time to incorporate the Sandy Bridge Architecture into its configurable options for the iMac. Finally, the current 2.93 CPU is plenty powerful for most needs (casual gaming, Handbrake, etc.). So for CPU purposes, I can see buying the current generation in January. I'm more curious about the next GPUs that they will use. The new 6800's are a little weaker compared to their 5800 counterpart, yet they are more energy efficient. If Apple plans to continue to use the 6800 Mobility chips in the iMacs, then this could pose an issue for me. I would like to play some of the current titles (Mass Effect 3 is what I'm gearing toward). For GPU purposes, I'm a bit on the fence here. I'm not anxious, but I want to be careful in that this will be my last computer purchase for a LONG time. Should I buy in January, or hold off? Thoughts?