2010 vs 2012 Macbook Pro SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kdotv23, Dec 29, 2014.

1. kdotv23 macrumors member

Is it normal to have slower read and write speeds on a 2010 macbook pro compared to a 2012 macbook pro?

[​IMG]

those are from a mid 2010 2.4 ghz core 2 duo with 4gb ram

the 2012 gets read and write speed of 400-500+

Both are using 256GB Crucial M550 on clean installs of Yosemite

I've read that its because 2010 models have SATA 2 while 2012 has SATA 3? Is that why?

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

3. kdotv23 thread starter macrumors member

How much quicker would the 2010 be if I were to upgrade the 4gb to 8gb or even 1gb?

4. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

It would have no effect at all on the SSD's performance. Whether it speeds up your system as a whole depends on what you do with it. Most people will never notice a difference between 4 and 8 GB of RAM. If you are consistently seeing large amounts of swapping, it will help.

5. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Also, folks get way too caught up in the SSD speeds. It's kind of an epidemic around here. ;) Unless you are working with massive multi-gigabyte files, and/or editing 4K video, you won't really notice a difference in speed. Those gaudy transfer speeds look great in benchmarks, but for every day usage (opening apps, saving documents, etc.), there is rarely any perceivable difference at this time.

6. kdotv23 thread starter macrumors member

Very true but the thing is, when you come across something like what I've encountered, there could be a chance that theirs something wrong that others on the forum might be able to tell you about. I upgraded the 2012 with an SSD and it was giving me issues and read about it here that it can the SATA cable. Changed that and now its working as it should. I would have never known if I had not come in here to explain my situation about read and write speed.

As for the 2010 macbook pro, since its the same SSD I'm using, I expected it to have close to if not the same read and write speed but since I was informed that the SATA II and III makes a difference, I at least leaned something

I do agree that just as long as its working then it should be fine but I'd wanted to make sure it was okay and nothing i needed to do to improve it.

7. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Hey, no worries - I wasn't questioning your post, just making some general observations for those who might be in a similar boat.