2010MBP Display fault. Flashing Pixels/Lock Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nic.chase, Nov 17, 2011.

1. nic.chase macrumors newbie

First off an apology, I'm sure this his been covered before however I attempted to search the forums but I didn't have the slightest idea which keywords to use.

Moving on.
    Since roughly June this year my 2010 Macbook Pro has been experiencing intermittent display crashes. Sometimes after 5 minutes of light use, sometime after hours of intense use. The display starts flickering, if I'm playing music generally it will continue to play, occasionally I'll still have control over the cursor.
    I've taken numerous photos and will include these below.

I've visited out local Apple Store four times to speak with a 'Genius.'
    Each time they've run their assorted tests - apparently only CPU and GPU - and I've received a phone call the next day telling me no problem could be found. Despite that inclusion of numerous photos.

Does anyone have any information regarding this issue?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

That's got to be GPU, surely. They're probably just running some sort of hardware test which isn't reporting a fault and so they're handing it back. Which is quite pathetic if you've included the photos!

If you're under warranty/AppleCare then it's time to demand a replacement unit if they've been unable to diagnose where the fault lies, or at least insist they replace the logic board given that this will be the most likely single area at fault. If you wanted to dig a little deeper you could hook it up to an external display to see if you can get the same thing to happen on that.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is definitely a GPU bug. Looks alot like what you can get when you overclock a GPU too much. Their standard test probably won't detect it because the problem only shows up after it really heats up and they would need to run some long stability test.

If you provided photos they should accept it. Try it again an insist on a repair. Maybe make whole movie with a digital camera when it happens and also film the serial number of on the back so there can be no doubt it is your computer.
    I have a 15" MBP but never experienced this kind of problem and I even c my GPU in Windows something like this should never happen.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Maybe a solution would be to call applecare, describe your issue, and also explain that you have been to the genius bar four times and they couldn't solve the problem.
    Because if they can't fix your problem, they have to give you a new one!