2011 11" MBA questions: Lion, Brightness, Battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kazmac, Dec 27, 2011.

1. kazmac, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Hi everyone,

Looks like I am going to pick up a 2011 MBA.

I have a few questions about the 11/13" models.

Is the 2011 11" still blindingly bright? I tried all of the tricks to tone it down and I just couldn't deal with it. Felt like I was looking into a nuclear reactor.

Does Lion's full screen mode negate the need for scrolling through apps, documents, web pages etc.?

Does anyone use the magic mouse with their 2011 MBAs?

If so, how friendly is the MM with Lion?

Does the 11" Air go beyond it's 5 hour mark for writing tasks? I would be using Office, Final Draft, TextEdit and MovieMagic Screenwriter.

One thing which disappointed me about the MBA was the amount of battery life I gobbled up just using screenplay software on the 2010 13" Ultimate (about 8-10% an hour). Granted, I have a very hard time with track pads.

I am getting an Air as secondary machine to write and work on my online coursework on the go. This will include watching movies. I have my iMac for any photo imaging and video conversion.

I loved the 13" ultimate but if I jump, it's either the high end 11" or the base 13".

Thanks in advance,

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery life is dependent on many factors, including screen brightness, WiFi, bluetooth, apps/widgets/processes running, Flash content on websites, etc. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Read what i posted above in red. Let me know if you have any more questions :)

4. kazmac thread starter macrumors 601

kazmac

nope think I'm good

Macdudesir, I do use the brightness settings (long time Mac owner :)). The 2010 11" MBA was too bright on the lowest setting, forgot to mention that.

Your comments helped, thanks.

I'll be testing them out tomorrow and possibly Thursday night. Right now about the only thing the 2011 11" has going for it, sight unseen is the weight difference. Price-wise, the $100 difference between the 11" high and the base 13" is not a deal breaker.

And GGJstudios, thanks for the battery FAQ link. I've learned to be aware of my battery/app/general settings since those results on the 2010 MBA.

Thanks to you both.

5. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Well then, 1 notch definatly isn't too bright to me...have you used an 11 inch yet? It's plenty big...especially since you have an iMac. I can't see you needing extra processor in the 13 inch. But it's not my money, it you really like the 13 inch, go for it. Just saying give the 11 inch a try

6. kazmac, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

kazmac thread starter macrumors 601

kazmac

I will look at the 11" again

Did not get to the store this morning, but I may go tonight after work.

I will definitely play around with both machines, but am also thinking of a MBP now because of the expandibility.

Regardless of what I choose, I have to do test drives at home. With my vision, the software I use and how bright Apple stores are, it's pretty tricky to be absolutely sure that I've chosen the right Macbook.

thanks again for the responses :)

7. kazmac, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

kazmac thread starter macrumors 601

kazmac

returned MBP bought 11" Air

Returned MBP...

looked at both Airs and decided on an 11". After giving it a second look in the early morning natural light of Grand Central (at night when I got the MBP it the lights overhead made it unbearable): You were right Macdudewsir, the brightness is much lower than the 2010s.

Now that I am finally aware that it's a combination of processor/ram and storage as far as page outs, beach balls etc. I will know not to expect my Air to be doing uber multitasking and backflips. Realistically, I am writing on this, whether it's text edit, word, notes or Final Draft and surfing/watching movies for class etc. And when I factor in how rough my commute can be etc. the smaller size/weight is definitely a plus.

I appreciate everyone's comments and I learned something I thought I knew, but really did not.

So away I go... sometimes you have to try out things to really get to what it is you need. And want. Needs come first.