2011 13' i5 MacBook Pro runs at 200F per core under load

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Waffl3s, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Waffl3s macrumors newbie

I was converting a movie in Handbrake yesterday and I decided to check the temps of the cores since I was using all 4 cores at near 100% Temperature Monitor show all the cores were around 200 F. Is it normal for the new 2011 Macbook Pros to run so hot under load? Has anyone else had similar results? I guess I could apply better thermal paste but this is my first Mac so I am cautious. I included a screenshot if it helps.

Attached Files:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. When processors do more work, they heat up.

3. Waffl3s thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I know this just never seen cores run that hot before. Wasnt sure if this is normal with the Macbook Pros, I am coming from the HP Laptop and custom built desktop world.

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

Desktop and notebook cooling are vastly different so that comparison is out.

Keep in mind that Intel's latest CPUs automatically shut down cores, overclock themselves, etc in order to turn available thermal and power capacity into performance. The end result of this is that they will tend to push the thermals as much as possible when under load. You can figure 100C is a key temperature ceiling. That's not to say it explode or anything though so don't worry.

Also keep in mind that your GPU and CPU now share the same die. As such, that will tend to push the CPU temp higher than you might be accustomed.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

OK, I have to ask: Why do you care? What difference does it make? It's under warranty for a year, and if it is going to fail it is most likely to fail in the first year.

6. currins macrumors member

I'm not usually the one to jump on these sorts of questions, but seriously? Your 2011 MBP and heat issue? The question has been asked/answered over, and over, and over, every day, for 2 months.

The quad core gets hot when you max the CPU. If it gets too hot, the computer shuts off. If your's didn't shut off, enjoy your MBP.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I used to worry about mine hitting 90 C while running processor intensive applications but like others here have said, it's probably not going to break. The computer will throttle performance or shut itself down to prevent damage to the internals, you have nothing to worry about :)

However, make sure it's in a ventilated area and sitting on a hard surface; I constantly have to remind my GF to put her laptop on a hard backed book or something when she's using it on the bed.

8. tdurden12 macrumors newbie

He cares because 200F is really hot, compared to an HP laptop with the same chip that maxes out at 68C under full load. He cares because although it might not damage the chip itself, what about the other parts of the logic board around the chip? What about the battery being near that much heat? Also the logic of things failing in the first year is wrong. Heat will slowly wear away at the components, shortening the lifespan (maybe from 6 years to 3 years)

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This is not true in regards to normal operating temperatures. Larger studies have shown that most components have little to no change in service life from varying temperatures. Apple laptops have run hot for years; their heat is nothing new. They do not have issues with longevity, and you rarely hear about them suffering thermal damage. If a CPU with turboboost is running at of over 100%, it is going to get very hot.