2011 13" i5 MBP temps question>>>>

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snakemajestic, Apr 14, 2011.

1. snakemajestic macrumors member

So i just used istat for the first time, and I opened it up while I was using facetime and browsing with safari.

CPU temp was 150 degrees F with Facetime open....is that really hot? seems really hot?

What are normal temps for HD, CPU, and the rest?

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can monitor it and know if it is getting too hot because right now I dont know what normal hot and too hot is. I need a bar.

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's a normal temperature. Look through any of the other umpteen "Is this temperature safe????" threads on this forum.

3. snakemajestic thread starter macrumors member

Hah. No need, you already responded in a matter of umpteen seconds. Thanks brah. (seriously though, I appreciate you participation)

4. zwodubber, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

zwodubber macrumors 6502a

here's a shot of my istat while:

Watching a 1080P vid on youtube

Ripping a movie with handbrake

Rendering a pdf in photoshop CS5

Music playing in itunes

Safari on Macrumors

I'm really not worried about heat as I'll never be doing all that at once on purpose and I have never noticed my fans at 4000 rpm before this. typically around 2000 is where they are.

[​IMG]

After stopping handbrake and youtube, cooling off

[​IMG]

5. propalitet macrumors member

When I run handbrake I get 90-92C and the fans are at 6200 the whole time.
    I definitely hear fans once in a while go to 4-5-6 thousand rpm.
    Your one seems to be pretty good.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

wow this is the 3rd thread in a row that i've mentioned this haha but try downloading Fan Control

7. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

Seriously, I'm trying to take notes on all the helpful tips people offer on heat issues and will eventually compile them into one thread.

Thank you for this info, i'm adding it to my list. I will be going in depth on exterior thermal readings, apps like you mentioned, and simple things like how a decent stand will help rather than sitting your MBP on a couch.

I know threads like this exist but heat threads are getting very monotonous when in most cases the MBP's are fine. My 2007 MBP ran so much hotter than my '11 core i5...

Sorry for the rant.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ha its all good. Sounds like a great idea.

I can tell you that as soon as i put my MBP on my iCurve it lowers the temperature by 10 degrees C. So its probably worth mentioning that whenever one can that they should keep their laptop elevated.

9. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

:D

Totally agree, I use a rain mstand and I can tell the difference in moving from that to a table or soft surface.

10. FOX160 macrumors regular

Intresting I have the same base specced model and I run imovie/Aperture 3
    and Safari together and seems to be running cool has a cucumber.
    Yes it gets a touch warm but thats about it and my Daughter borrows it
    and mainly on the web through day and night and again only touch warm

i was beggining to think these over heat issues was just made up

11. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

80C from 1 thread on MBP i7

I've got a refurbished 2011 13" MBP w/ i7, and I'm noticing the fans a whole lot more than with my old MBP (early 2008 2.4 GHz) - they definitely kick in fast and go loud.

Currently I'm running a process that's using 100% of one core on one thread (so that's 25% of max capacity), and the temp is jumping between 75 deg C and 81 deg C. The fans kick up to 6200 RPM pretty fast too when I use all the CPU, and the temp hovers around 90 deg C.

Is this all normal? My understanding was that 90 deg C is normal when maxing out the processor, but 81 deg C for using only a quarter of it seems a bit high. Or is this the turbo booster thing kicking in?