2011 13" i7 MBP - clamshell mode issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mixvio, Mar 18, 2011.

1. mixvio macrumors 6502

I bought a new 13" i7 MacBook Pro yesterday. As is my usual case, I plug my laptop into an external monitor in clamshell mode which allows the computer to continue running without outputting anything to the internal screen. In the past, the internal screen has been shut off completely, but this doesn't seem to be the case for mine.

Although the only detected monitor is the external one (that's all working as usual) the backlight on the internal one remains on. I can see it shining up through the plastic apple on the lid and the LCD itself is completely black, but still backlit.

Is this just something to do with the Intel GPU, or are people with the 15" and 17" seeing the same thing? I remember the 2010 15"/17" models couldn't output to the external monitor at all if the GPU was forced to use the Intel (through GFXCardStatus) and not allowed to use the Nvidia one, so I'm wondering if this is a similar issue.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Interesting. Try putting it to sleep and waking it up with the lid closed, it may just be a glitch. I know sometimes if I'm in clamshell mode and I open it, the backlight will be on

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What steps are you following, exactly? Are you connecting the external display, then closing the lid and letting your MBP sleep, then waking it up with the mouse or keyboard?

4. mixvio thread starter macrumors 6502

Whew, it looks like it was just a temporary glitch after all. I slept it a second time and woke it again and this time the backlight stayed off. I'd never had this happen before (and I've been using them in clamshell mode for three years now), so it freaked me out.

False alarm!