2011 13" loose hinge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZombieZakk, Mar 8, 2011.

1. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

I am wondering if the hinge on my macbook pro is loose but i could just be imagining it so im wondering what you guys have noticed.

stays shut normally once opened it stays exactly where i put it no clicking or anything of the sort.

But when i go to close it it shuts very easy i have tested opening to 90 degrees and holding sideways it stays in place, the only time it sinks slightly is when it is at a 45 degree( usually less) angle and i notice it sinks slightly

While this is not an issue now and does not bother me i am just curious if it is normal for the newer MBP's

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Do you have a case on it. Hard-shells add weight and that could be the cause of it closing. Even if you don't if it is slowing closing it's not a problem, there shouldn't be any damage caused because of this. But if it is really annoying you take it back it's an easy fix orif your within 14 days just ask for a new one.

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Its happened in the past where new machines come with slightly loose hinges. But if there is nothing else wrong with it i'd advise just to take it in and ask them to tighten up the screws, shouldnt take more than 5 minutes tops to get them tightened.

4. ZombieZakk, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

ZombieZakk thread starter macrumors 6502

no case on it and it doesnt move on its own unless its already closed down most way. There is nothing else wrong with it at all and like i said it only moves slightly it wont close on its own thats why i was asking what others experienced.

EDIT: I pulled up the ifixit teardown and it looks easy to get to the lcd screws.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2010-LCD/4311/3

the screws mentioned on this page are the ones i need to tighten correct?

5. goldengamer macrumors newbie

I just bought a 2011 13" yesterday and I believe mine is also the same looseness. It feels like it may be okay now, but it's possible that sometime down the line, it could break. Does anybody have a solution? Will the Apple Store be able to fix it easily? I have my programs installed and files on here already so I don't want to exchange it.

6. BroodRooster macrumors member

The guide on ifixit that you showed is just how the upperlid is connect to the base of the macbook and has nothing to do with how tight the screws are on the hinge. If you start unscrewing those screws the lid will come off and it has nothing to do with the hinge or the problem you discribed

7. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I have this MBP and mine requires constant pressure to close it - but just the right amount. It won't go on it's own.

Have them tighten it.

8. goldengamer macrumors newbie

I went to the Apple Store yesterday and they said it was normal. Also, they told me that if it becomes loose, they can tighten it right in the store (which leads me to believe that it's an easy fix).