2011 13" MacBook Pro minor problems, anybody else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by suckatcomputers, Feb 27, 2011.

1. suckatcomputers, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

suckatcomputers macrumors regular

This is my 2nd 2011 13" Macbook Pro. I exchanged my 1st one for another because my screen came with water marks and because of this "click" I hear coming from the bottom-right corner (where your right wrist is when you're typing).

I hear this "click" more often right after I turn it on from sleep, after I lift up the screen, move or slightly bump the bottom-right-corner, and pick it up off of my desk to take to the living room. It's pretty loud but you probably can't hear it if you have music on.

Also, even after restarting a couple times, Safari is still freezing up and I'm getting the "you are not connected to the internet" when I click a link from a site it just took me to.:confused: How am I NOT connected to the internet when my other tab is browsing fine? For example, I google something, search results, great... click one of the results and then "you are not connected to the internet."

Although this processor is much faster and I love it, there are little annoying stalls and delays that remind me of my Dell Desktop PC. The 2010 model and previous models, I felt differently when I used. It was "boom, boom, boom!'' Nice and crisp. This processor is a bit louder, which I don't care about, but it's sort of a quicker boom, boom, wait a second, boom! Keep in mind, this "wait a second" only happens once in a while. The thing is that I don't have ANYTHING installed or ANY of my files transferred over yet and am only using the Safari browser. Hope it doesn't get worse when I get all my stuff on here.

If you have a 13" 2011 MBP please:): After turning it on from sleep, lift your MacBook up from the right side and listen for a click. And also, put it on your lap with it on and running Safari. Then push the bottom-right corner down continuously so it's like a see-saw on your legs. Do you hear a click?

I will ask Apple about all this but I will be keeping this beautiful machine. keep in mind I DID purchase Applecare.

2. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I will be opening my third MacBook Pro in 3 weeks (this time the 2011 model) after problems with the first two.

Do not hesitate to return & get a replacement of the MPB if you are not happy with it.

3. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm just sick of driving over there.

Question everybody: Exactly what is the sound that I hear every 15 or 30 seconds? Goes away for a while but it's throughout I'd say 1/2 the time of my usage so far.

Didn't happen in the 2010. It's not bothersome or loud, just curious because... It sounds like my new 2011 macbook pro is swallowing or clearing it's throat. Something my Desktop PCs do constantly, except that I'm running a lot of programs on the PCs including Anti-virus software, whereas on my mac I haven't installed anything yet.

4. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Well, if you're "see-sawing" the thing on your lap then it's most likely the drive heads parking so you don't lose any data. Perfectly normal.

So stop doing that. :D

5. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Don't keep it if you aren't happy with it. Exchange it while you are able to.

AppleCare only kicks in after 12 months unless you need phone support past 90 days.

FWIW, I always buy Apple care at 11+ months (I set an iCal alert so I won't forget!), because it's tied to a computer that could potentially get broken or be stolen. It's typically 33% off from Amazon or J&R or B&H or other Internet-based authorized resellers.

6. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I hear you bob.

I just meant as a test so we can figure this out let Apple know quickly. I don't mean vigorously shake the thing everybody.

I came across this problem just lifting and moving my macbook, and when I had it on my lap, I leaned over to pick up my phone and "click." Then I DELICATELY did the see-saw motion, "CLICK... CLICK" when I pushed down on the bottom-right corner. Then goes away for a while and comes back the next day after not being used for 8 hours or so.

7. suckatcomputers, Feb 27, 2011

suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

Unless I'm mistaken Applecare "kicks in" the day you purchase your product. The date on your receipt. Yes you'r covered by the warranty for the 1st year.

So are you saying you can buy a product from the Apple store and purchase Applecare from Amazon a year later, and the Applecare will be for 3 years from that point? I don't know... that sounds too good to be true.

8. esvee macrumors member

Sounds like either the drive they're putting in the new models is more sensitive to movement, or its overly sensitive ie, broken.

If you slowly rock to the side (I mean really slowly, like you're trying to coat the rim of a pan with butter sort of slowly) it shouldnt click, but anything like shifting your legs too quickly should cause the head to park.

9. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

The first few times it happened, I lifted my MBP up with both hands evenly, just taking it from my room to the living room.

Could this sensitiveness cause problems in the future? If not a biggie, then I'll stop worrying.

10. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

What Apple Care does is extend your one-year factory warranty for two additional years. You can buy it up until the one-year factory warranty runs out (one year); after that you can no longer buy it.

So in that way, there is no difference if you buy it on day one, or on day 364, except that you are spending the money up front.

I say "in that way" because there is one difference: Your original one-year warranty comes with 90 days of free phone support. If you buy Apple Care right away, you get one year of free phone support. So of course if you buy Apple Care at day 364, you have given up about 274 days where you could have had phone support in the first year. (I don't know how it works if you buy Apple Care halfway through that first year - do you then get 180 more days of phone support?) This does not matter much to me as I would just as soon search the web or MacRumors for that sort of help, and then go to a Genius Bar if I need actual Apple hands on the machine.

I wait to buy my Apple Care until the first year is almost up, just in case I decide to sell the computer, or it breaks irreparably, or etc. within that first year.

I have read recently that Apple is not honoring some of the Apple Care bought from the cheaper places - like they are cracking down. For example someone posted a link to an Apple page that showed the authorized sellers of Apple Care and I don't think I saw B&H on it (?). That is something I would like to find out more about.

OP: Are you saying you had the streaky screen and click on the first 2011 MBP and now you have the click on the second 2011 MBP too?

11. John.B, Feb 27, 2011

John.B macrumors 601

John.B

No, I'm saying you can buy the product from the Apple store (or any Apple authorized reseller) and you can purchase the Apple care from Amazon (or J&R or B&H or even Apple) up to -- but not past -- a year later and the AppleCare will extend your 1-year factory warranty by an additional two years:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

But if you buy AppleCare at the time you buy your MacBook Pro and it gets lost/stolen/dropped/broken/etc. you will have paid for an extended warranty for nothing. I was told recently on another forum that Apple may -- at their discretion -- choose to transfer that AppleCare to a new MBP, but I wouldn't count on it.

Also note that if you wait for 1 year + 1 day from the day on your receipt to register your AppleCare, you will be SOL. Hence, the idea to put a reminder in iCal for 11 months out, so you won't forget and will still have time to cover shipping, order processing, etc. type delays.

Miss Terri, I know first-hand that B&H is an authorized Apple reseller.

There have been some shady ebay deals from mystery sellers for AppleCare, MobileMe, iTunes cards, etc. including ebay sellers who were just emailing the registration codes, so I would advise people to stay away from those if they don't know who they are dealing with.

12. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

I think the clicking may just be the sudden motion sensor kicking in.

13. Miss Terri, Feb 27, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I understand about B & H being an authorized reseller.

On the other hand, there were a few threads on here a month or so ago, wherein people were being denied Apple Care they had bought from other places, even some that were supposedly resellers. At the time, someone linked to an Apple page that clarified where you could buy "aftermarket" Apple Care, and B & H wasn't on the page, I don't think.

I would have followed up on it, but since I have 11 months to go before I will be looking to buy Apple Care, I put it on the back burner. So, don't take my word as gospel, but perhaps there is a difference between authorized resellers and those authorized to "resell" Apple Care? I know that the list on Apple's page was not that long, and yet there are thousands and thousands of authorized resellers, aren't there?

As I said, please don't take my word as ultimate truth; it's just something I have on my list to check out before I do buy Apple Care next January.

Miss Terri

Edited to add: Here is the thread I was talking about; check post #17.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1085063

Here is the link provided for Apple's authorized Apple Care sellers, which B & H is not on:

http://solutionprofessionals.apple.com/catalog/

I don't know what the "solution professionals is all about in the URL? Maybe this is only for corporate sales or something and does not apply? (Although an Apple person gave this link to the person in the thread.) Maybe it is the difference between Internet resellers and Bricks and Mortar ones?

A quote from that page:
    Please be aware that if you purchase a product over the Internet or through a catalog from a Reseller who is not on this list, you are not buying from a reseller authorized by Apple to make Internet or catalog sales.

I'm not saying B & H is not legit, because from everything I have heard they ARE. But still it's odd they are not on this list. Maybe Apple needs to update it. Obviously there are more resellers than this, right? Like I said, I simply mentally noted it as something to check into before I purchase Apple Care for myself. I don't completely understand the whole thing right now, so I am not confident in saying it is true and accurate.

14. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. The streaky screen was a "freak accident." The guy told me he's 100% positive that it didn't happen at the store. I'm assuming the most disgusting person in the world sneezed on the screen and "wiped" it up with his hand. They're inspected before they're packaged, so maybe it was the person who packaged it.

Yes, this is my 2nd 2011 MBP. Been to the Apple Store everyday since Friday. I don't mind as long as they continue to make sure my MBP is not defective.

As long as this clicking is normal and the "loud for a Macbook pro" throat clearing noise is normal for this processor, I will be extremely happy about my MBP. The throat clearing noise sounds more like a burp, now that I'm hearing it some more.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

hopefully he did not have the Bird Flu :cool:

16. onelazyman macrumors newbie

Is that click coming from the bottom right corner (next to the trackpad?)

I can hear it sometimes when I have the computer on my lap. I assume it is the motion sensor kicking in, isn't it?

17. dinostars macrumors member

If something happens to your computer and it's no longer eligible for AppleCare, you can get a prorated refund (I'm not sure if that's only if you bought it from Apple). Also, the APP can also be registered after 1 year but it has to be purchased within the first year.

18. The-Pro macrumors 65816

that sound is probably the sudden motion sensor triggering. it parks the heads of the HDD so your drive dosnt brake or you loose date from the movement. this is perfectly normal, you cant do anything about it unless getting a SSD :D

19. ozred macrumors 6502

I agree.

When ordering a new Mac, expect to get a faulty one.

Then if you "get lucky" you're fine.

If you get a defective one, you're prepared for the hassle, wasted time, more waiting etc. Apples standards have been declining in the last few years.

It's all about mass producing huge volume. A money grab.

They've got the only game if you want a Mac and they treat customers accordingly. They're very courteous, but that doesn't compensate for crappy quality.

Nor does it stop the cult like fanboys from placing Apple on some phony pedestal.

20. tjb1 macrumors 68000

As others have stated its the SMS. Dont like it, turn it off. No amount of exchanges is going to stop the noise if they are using the same drive or sensor.

sudo pmset -a sms 0

Done.

Yes, the drive is no longer protected from Sudden Motion...but how many computers actually have this? Think about that.

I have a 2010, got the 7200 rpm drive with it which is a Seagate with G-Force protection built into the drive. No idea why Apple is using a drive with G-Force protection and also using SMS in the computer. I had thought they could conflict and interfere with each other so I guess they disabled the drive detection.

21. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Bitter much? :p

22. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Surprised nobody has jumped on this, but how in the heck is the PROCESSOR louder? I don't recall ever having a computer of any kind where the processor was making any noise at all.

23. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

I think he's referring to how loud the fans are.

24. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

I know what you mean about the click, my 2011 is doing it too. I'm still slightly weary about the little noise of my ODD when booting up, and that click. Just seems like if my 2009 MBP didn't do it, why should my 2011? But if it's normal, it's normal. I just don't want a defective MacBook Pro.