2011 13" MacBook Pro Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by S A, Mar 22, 2011.

1. S A macrumors member

Hi, I recently bought my first Mac and have been experiencing some problems. I just wondered if anybody could tell me what the best course of action is.

1. When turning off/restarting the laptop gets stuck on a Blue Screen with a wheel that goes around and around. I found it to be stuck on this for several hours till the battery ran out, so its not turning off.
    To turn it off, I am having to press and hold the power button. I dont want to keep doing that as obviously thats not the right way to go about turning it off on a daily basis.
    2. The laptop keeps dropping the WiFi Connection, I have to re-enter the WEP Key each time it drops the connection too.
    3. The laptop makes a CLUNK noise when I sometimes move it or pick it up. It comes from near the Optical Drive. Is this normal?

Apart from that, Im loving my Mac :) but some of these problems are a bit worrying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. S A thread starter macrumors member

1. Bought the MacUpdate Bundle a few days ago, and have installed the following:
    • Parallels Desktop 6
    • Divvy
    • 1Password
    • Hands Off!
    • TechTool Pro 5
    • QuickPick
    Apart from that, I have 2/3 Apps from the Mac App Store and Kaspersky Anti Virus 2011.

2. I am using a O2 Wireless Box IV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O2_wireless_box)

3. Aah right, thats ok then.

4. borisiii macrumors 6502

For the issue shutting down, try a PRAM reset (google it). I once had a new mac with the same problem and that was all I needed to do to fix it.

5. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I get this pretty often and it is a very irritating sound. :(

6. eaf7s macrumors regular

OK, as far as the noise when you move it--are you sure that's not the sudden motion sensor? Because that could just be the sound of it "parking" itself, and you want that to happen :) .

However, my 2011 13" is REALLY slow to sleep/wake. Slower than my early 2008 MBP. I open it from sleep and the trackpad and keyboard will be unusable for usually 10-20s--just frozen--but once they wake up it's all fine. But that is still annoying.

7. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

1: Don't use WEP. Use WPA or WPA2, preferably 2.
    2: Happens frequently when dealing with hidden hotspots. I noted this issue back on the 2010 MacBook Pro with my home wireless. I had to make it visible in order to stop the behavior.

8. mlynchmob16 macrumors regular

I have a new 13" i5 and mine takes about 5-10 seconds to sleep, before the light starts pulsing. For waking, my password screen comes up as soon as I lift the screen and the desktop comes up as soon as I hit enter.

I don't think the 10-20 seconds to wake is normal...

9. jAguero16 macrumors member

Same here, mine usually does not take >10 seconds to get the system up and running again. Considering the fact that I'm not using a SSD (if it has any influence).

10. eaf7s macrumors regular

Blagh well I spent last night testing it under different conditions and it was only a problem when 1) I had a film up in iTunes or Quicktime when I put it to sleep (it was, however, paused) or 2) it was waking from sleep after being connected to an external monitor, either having been used as a second screen or in clamshell mode.

Any other time, the wake is instantaneous. I never have a problem booting. I'm upgrading to a 750gb 7200rpm drive in the next month, and a SSD in the next year, so speed will be the name of my game soonish...

11. simsaladimbamba

The OP didn't know about the Sudden Motion Sensor.

Because the RAM's content will be written to the HDD in case the battery runs out of juice.
    You can disable it via Terminal or via SmartSleep (you could look for an older, free version, as SS was free before the MAS).

12. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

1. reset pram, repair permission using onyx and if that fails re-install the OS and see what happens
    2. maybe a problem with your router? is it wireless N mimo?
    3. prob the sudden motion sensor which you can deactivate (google it)

13. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I don't have ANY of these problems. Tell the Mac guys you got a lemon and get a new one. Don't let this become a long issue or you'll just regret your purchase.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need anti-virus software to protect your Mac. There has never been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:
    PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging/shutdown issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.

15. redant macrumors newbie

A lot of people are experiencing the wifi problem. Sounds like a firmware problem.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not likely at all. Too many factors affect Wi-Fi to assume something like firmware before considering far more common factors, and the majority of MBP users have no Wi-Fi problems at all.