2011 13" MBP and 2011 27" iMac gaming?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Aristor, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Aristor macrumors member

Hey, I just got a 13" MBP and a 2011 27" imac primarily for work, but I was wondering how they will handle gaming. I want to play Batman Arkham City, Skyrim, and Guild Wars 2, specifically. (and anything else I see that I find neat.) How will the games run, and at what graphics level on these computers? Also, how big of a partition should I make for Windows?

Specs:
    13" MPB
    2.8GHz dual-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    750GB 5400-rpm
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

27" iMac
    3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    2560 x 1440 resolution
    12GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB

I am more interested in the iMac's performance, but I do hope to use the MBP when on business trips, vacations, plane rides, ect. Thanks!

----------

Note: both are running windows 7 in bootcamp.

2. dblessin macrumors newbie

I play Call of Duty 4 on my 13" MBP and it runs great.
    Skip boot camp if you can

3. leman macrumors 604

The MBP will struggle due to its lack of dedicated graphic card (the Intel IGP is rather decent though, so you will be able to enjoy most games in medium/low settings).

The iMac will run anything you throw at him, at reasonable settings.

4. EricT43 macrumors regular

I have a similar setup as you, except I have the i7 on the iMac and the i5 on the MBP :)

I run StarCraft II on both systems, and it runs great. High settings on the iMac and medium settings on the MBP. The MBP with integrated graphics actually runs games as well as my previous laptop, an Asus with nVIDIA 9300GS. So even though integrated graphics are not the best for gaming, the MBP does a respectable job.

I no longer use Boot Camp. I originally put a 150GB partition on my iMac, but I honestly didn't see much if any improvement in game play. And frankly it wasn't enough of a difference for me to want to reboot every time I want to play a game. I would encourage you to try it without, unless of course you have games that are Windows only. I use Virtual Box for the 1 or 2 apps I need that only run on Windows.