Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

postjack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I just wanted to provide my initial impressions on my new 2011 13" MBP base model.

First and foremost, thank you to this community for the wealth of information available here. I've been reading the forums diligently for the past several months leading up to this purchase.

Second, I put a * next to first time user, since I did own a Mac several years ago, but the relationship didn't last long. I honestly can't remember, it was maybe 2003/2004? The computer was an iBook, and shortly after the 1 year warranty expired my logic board went out. The repair cost was $800. Of course now I know the wisdom of always buying the warranty on a laptop, but at the time I was a college student and my head was kind of fuzzy (partly why I don't remember exactly when I owned the iBook, it was a fuzzy time). So I said well forget Apple! and a short while later I bought a gigantic 17" HP monster, which died after about 18 months. :p

So I've been laptop free for a while, relying on various PC desktops, most recently one I'm quite fond of that I built myself a year and a half ago. Great gaming rig for the types of games I play, usually ones that are a few years older.

Of course a lot has happened in personal technology since I owned that iBook, most notably the rise of the smartphone. I owned the second iteration of the original iPhone, and currently own the 3GS. The iPhone is probably my favorite piece of technology ever. I am an internet message board junkie, and when I realized I could actually have the internet with me anywhere in the palm of my hand, I was sold. A few years with the iPhone led to an iPad purchase this past winter (1st gen 16gb wifi refurb). I didn't know how I would react to the iPad, I knew I was just going to have to own one to decide if I would use it. Man do I use it! Mainly for web browsing and email around the house, but also the SiriusXM app gets tons of use.

So all this led to a situation this summer where I plan to be on the road a lot (I follow Phish) and I needed a way to stay connected to my summer classes, take online tests, etc. The iPad might have sufficed, but I didn't want it flaking out on me during a test, so I figured it was time to purchase another laptop. I certainly considered PC laptops, but ultimately I went with the MBP for a number of reasons I will elaborate on shortly.

So enough background, here are my first impressions after just a few hours with my new MBP:

1. Its simply the best looking notebook out there. Yes this is important to me. Apple has pushed industrial design to new levels, and if I'm spending serious cash on a piece of technology, I want it to look fantastic. I am not ashamed to admit this.

2. It has a solid, quality feel. See above. I want my tech to feel great in addition to looking great.

3. I synced my iPhone, and was absolutely delighted to see everything "just work". Syncing my calendar to iCal, my photos to iPhoto, my iTunes U podcasts, my contacts, boom, all synced up on my MBP! Such a simple thing, but so brilliant.

4. Speaking of photos, I love the location feature of iPhoto. I mentioned before I follow Phish, and I go to a lot of other live music as well, so it is cool to click on a city on the map and all the photos from various shows and what not pop up. A slick and unexpected feature.

5. So I went ahead and cancelled my unlimited plan. I know I could have jailbroken, but I didn't want to mess with that, and I wanted the tethering so I could use my MBP on the road. Plugged the phone up, turned on hotspot, boom, computer sees the phone, I select the network, and everything works beautifully.

6. I have the base model, and it is plenty speedy for my purposes.

7. Multitouch gestures while web browsing are perfect.

8. Stoked to hear today I'll get my Lion update for free! Not bad.

Gripes:

1. Its hard getting used to not having a right click. I'm sure I'll adjust

2. Safari. I like chrome better, but I understand Safari is getting a makeover soon.

Thanks for reading my impressions, just thought I would share them for fun and maybe posterity's sake!

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
A few comments:

1) Right click exists, you just need to enable the preference under Trackpad in System Preferences.
2) For every OS X install, I install the following must-have apps: Adium, VLC, Growl, HardwareGrowl (under Extras in the Growl.dmg file), Dropbox, Perian, iStat Menus, iStat Pro widget, and the Deliveries widget.
3) Because you're using OS X, iTunes actually behaves itself.
4) Reboots are a thing of the past. Close the lid when you're done, open it up to work again!
5) Command+Space opens up Spotlight. It's the fastest way to find documents and also probably the fastest way to open up an app.
6) A collection of helpful videos: http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

Thanks about it. Glad you like your Mac!

Last edited:

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Glad you're enjoying your Mac :cool:

Regarding the "right click", in System Preferences/Trackpad enable "Secondary Click (Bottom Right Corner)" and/or "Secondary Tap" and you're in business :D

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-07.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-07.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 70

Peewiglet

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
I'm a new Mac user too, and I really enjoyed reading your first impressions. I just wish I had an iPhone too instead of a <cough> Blackberry... Oops!

Thanks also to those who posted tips and suggestions for software. I wasn't aware that I could enable a right-click, but I've done so now.

I love my new Macbook :)

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Grats on your purchase, I'm sure you'll continue to love it. Now, you have learned your lesson about the need of Applecare, right? ;-)

Also, I use Chrome on my MBP and I really prefer it to Safari.

Korotai

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
My old computer was a 2006 15" MPB and when the 2011 dropped, I finally dropped the cash for a new one. Other than in Photoshop, I don't miss the performance of the dedicated GPU. Bottom line - best purchase I've ever made. The build quality is leagues ahead of the original MPB. There is no flex in the case whatsoever. I'm pretty sure this thing could survive having a truck ran over it (and I even think I saw a video recently of one that survived said truck).

My absolute favorite feature is the trackpad. The multi-touch trackpad is, without a doubt the best one on a computer hands down. I've only had this MBP for 3 months and I find it a chore to use any other laptop's built in trackpad. Also, the keyboard is the best in the industry. It feels identical to the keyboards on the 2010 iMacs. (BTW, you can right-click with a two-fingered tap on the trackpad).

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I'm a new Mac user too, and I really enjoyed reading your first impressions. I just wish I had an iPhone too instead of a <cough> Blackberry... Oops!

Thanks also to those who posted tips and suggestions for software. I wasn't aware that I could enable a right-click, but I've done so now.

I love my new Macbook :)

Nothing wrong with owning a BlackBerry. :eek:

Sure the phone may look like a relic from ancient times compared to a new iPhone 4, but having a instant 3G connection without even having to take my phone out of my pocket is a great bonus (Wireless Bluetooth Modem). :cool:

I just hit connect on my menu bar and got a secure stable connection that people have no chance of leeching off of me unless I allow them via my MBP.

I am also a somewhat new MacBook Pro owner myself. I just have one problem. I can't stop buying Apple gear to go with it. My last damage to my wallet was my 27" ACD while expensive, is so beautiful to look at and makes the perfect companion to a 13" model. Perfect portability for the road, and insane amounts of workspace at home. I love the combo. :apple:

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Use two finger tap (no need to click the button) for "right click" - what Apple calls "Secondary Click". And use one finger tap to "left click". Again, no need to actually press down the button. These two are way better than any two buttons on another laptop. Try it.

Attachments

• tap.jpg
    tap.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 580
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 590

billnye97

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
8. Stoked to hear today I'll get my Lion update for free! Not bad.

How did you find that out? I bought my MBP on 5/27 and was wondering if I could get Lion for free. Not a big deal if I don't but it would be cool.

TheMetalMan0

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
How did you find that out? I bought my MBP on 5/27 and was wondering if I could get Lion for free. Not a big deal if I don't but it would be cool.
Afraid you won't be eligible.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/06/06lion.html

Apple said:
The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread because I'll be a first time user but I have a question. I hear that if you want to use an external drive, it has to be formatted to mac. How do I get my documents, photos, videos and music onto my new machine if I need to format the drive first?

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
OS X can read NTFS natively, so you can copy your files to your laptop, format the drive to HFS and then copy the files back. It might not fit on your laptop, as extended drives are usually big but I don't know in what situation your in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.