2011 13" MBP Graphics issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blondie :), Jul 9, 2012.

1. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Hello all,

I have been having an issue with my graphics card in my MBP. First off, let me say that I have already searched through the forums using MRoogle, and couldn't quite find an issue that matched mine.

Anyways, this issue has happened twice so far. Most recent occurrence was an hour ago. I was playing Portal 2 through Steam, and playing for roughly an hour or so. Mid-game, my screen got all blocky and what-not, and I couldn't see my character, or any of the map. After a few seconds, my MBP made a loud beeping noise, the sleep indicator light came on, and the computer froze. I had to do a hard shut off and reboot, and everything has been fine since. I haven't tried to play the game again yet.

The first time this happened was a few months ago when I was playing angry birds using Google Chrome. The problem was the exact same as described above. Pixelated and blocky as all get out, sleep indicator light comes on, computer freezes, forced to do a hard boot.

The issue is definitely graphics related in my opinion. I'm wondering if it's due to the chip getting too hot? Both times the issue has happened the computer has just been sitting on my lap. When I game with a fan underneath the machine, I haven't had an issue.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I figured more detail is better than less detail. Thanks for all of your suggestions and opinions! :D

2. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Almost certainly a heat issue from what you described. Have you tried opening it up and checking the fans (they may be dusty). It might also be worth re-applying the thermal paste on the CPU heatsink.

What's the ambient temperature of the room you use the computer?

3. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

The ambient temperatures of the room I was in when the issues occurred were around 80 degrees Fahrenheit. That's what also makes me think it might be a heat issue. As far as dust is concerned, I took the bottom cover of the unit off and cleaned out all of the dust earlier that day, but the issue still came up.

I'm still inclined to believe that the issue is due to high heat loads though, given the ambient temperature and the fact that the unit was sitting on my lap both times it happened. I don't necessarily want to void the warranty though by reapplying thermal paste. My warranty on the unit is through best buy, and lasts until next june. Do you think they would do it? Thanks

4. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

As a note, I am stress testing my CPU with some distributed computing software that I downloaded. If my CPU can take the heat for a while, can I be safe to assume that my GPU is having the heat problems? Thanks.

5. doh123 macrumors 65816

your GPU is in your CPU...

put smcFanControl on, and monitor what your temp is and what speeds the fans are running at... see how hot its actually getting.

6. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

I stress tested it using the distributed computing software program called Boinc. When I tested, I disabled the program to use my GPU to compile data. I understand that my GPU is integrated into the CPU, but I didn't know for certain if not allowing the program to use the GPU would work. I stress tested for about two hours with no hangups whatsoever. I was using a targus cooling fan. Tested the CPU and watched a couple videos online using the HDMI adapter. Everything ran fine. Which overall is causing me to think that overall, my MBP probably just got too warm and decided it didn't love me anymore. Any input on this? Thanks