2011 13" MBP Lagging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rob.G, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I got my wife a new 13" MacBook Pro... well actually I got it on Craigslist, but it's mint. It's the i7 2.3 GHz model from the Feb 2011 release.

I noticed it was lagging pretty bad a lot of the time... frequent beachballs, general sluggishness. Since both of my Macs are SSD and this one had a 320 gig drive, I thought some of it was my own perception.

Since she wanted more disk space anyway, I put a 1 TB drive in it and upgraded the RAM to 8 gig, then did a fresh Lion install, and restored everything via Time Machine.

It runs better, but still lags sometimes. Like this morning, she tells me that she'll be typing in Word (2011), and it either lags really bad... type stuff, and after a bit, the text appears... or the text will never appear. She also said it's started doing it in Skype.

The only stuff running right now is Word, Skype, Pandora (in Chrome) and iCal. She's pretty savvy so I know it's not a user issue.

Other than this odd lagging, the thing runs fine. It's fast when it isn't lagging. She uses QT7 to convert videos to and from various formats (she works for a casting agency), and says the machine hauls butt compared to her old Dell.

But I'm worried about the lagging. I'm considering doing a total wipe and reinstall everything by hand, in case there was something leftover from when we first got it, that might be causing this. It has AppleCare good til 2014 so we're covered there.

Any ideas on things I can look at or try? Thanks.

Rob

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

For how long has the computer been on since the reinstall? When you install lion spotlight needs to index the entire drive.

3. Rob.G thread starter macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Couple of weeks at this point. The re-index is long-done. Though I do notice (even on my own Macs) that mds picks the damnedest times to fire up.

Rob

4. Minhthien macrumors 6502

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Did you even read the OP? It is clearly stated that this has already been done.

OP, at this point, you're still under the 1 year warranty, and Apple checks the warranties with the serial numbers, not with the receipt or ID of the person bringing it in.

I suggest you make use of that warranty if you have an Apple Store or authorized retailer near you.

6. Rob.G thread starter macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I verified warranty coverage with the serial number on the Apple website, so I know I'm good there.

Do you think it's likely that something might have moved over from the Time Machine restore, or should I skip a day-long manual rebuild and head over to the Apple Store? There's one not too far away.

Rob

7. 9Benua macrumors member

Well, If I were you, I'll do fresh install and re-do it manually.

8. Minhthien macrumors 6502

If you restore from time machine ITS NOT FRESH! Even with fresh install of lion but then you restore! What i meant is fresh from ground up!

9. Rob.G thread starter macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Yeah that's what I suspected. Okay, then I'll be doing a 100% fresh from the ground up redo. Then we'll see if the problem returns.

Thanks!

Rob