2011 13" MBP - Lion randomly disables audio

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by technopimp, Jul 22, 2011.

1. technopimp macrumors 6502a

First noticed this after the upgrade-the audio icon was gray at the top. Thought it was just part of the new UI at first, but when I clicked it I couldn't adjust the volume. I rebooted and it was OK. Rebooted again, disabled again. Searched and didn't see anyone else reporting this issue. Anyone else having the problem? Not sure what to do to fix it.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes, it's a known bug. Until Apple fixes it, you can insert and take out headphones to get your Audio back. If you restart, you'll have to do it again.

3. mazurka macrumors member

My internal speakers in my Mac Pro tower are working OK (but it's a very SMALL sound always) so I've had Creature external speakers for some time, but they no long work under Lion. To see if you can improve your situation go to Audio MIDI Setup, which is Applications>Utilities, find the Audio window and select your output device, then go to the cogwheel at the bottom of the panel and select what you want it to do. Hasn't worked for my external speakers, but might work for your internal ones. Good luck.

4. EdwinG macrumors newbie

noticed once when i boot lion under 32 bit, the speaker icon just grey and can't be adjusted.