2011 13'' MBP; TOSLINK output?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Policar, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Policar macrumors 6502a

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the 13'' macbook pro (2011) has a TOSLINK output. I want to run something to a DAC and I heard that TOSLINK is better than USB with this DAC. Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, it has a mini-TOSLINK out via the headphone jack.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It does. All MacBook/Pros have had an optical out via the headphone port since day one.

4. Policar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'm very new to audio but I want to get a DAC for my macbook pro to improve audio quality when listening to mp3s with headphones.

I looked at the cambridge dacmagic, and it seems the usb connection isn't very good, but I've read TOSLINK can be bad, too. I read it's a really good DAC in general, though.

The only DAC I tried was a gamma2 (DIY) kit, which sounded great out of USB, so maybe I'll go for one of those. But in theory it should all be digital, right?

5. yang88she macrumors regular

Have u checked out fiio? What kind of cans?

6. Policar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm considering the fiio e7 since it seems to have a similar wolfson chip, but I'm not sure I need all the other stuff (don't need a headphone amplifier) and I'd prefer an RCA out since my amp takes an RCA in.

I have stax sr303 headphones and an srm313 amp. They sound okay out of my macbook pro, but way better with a good source.

7. Policar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like I'm going with the gamma2. If I can ever get my hands on one or figure out how to build it.