Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicoga3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
My fiance has last year's 15" MBP base model, and I just bought the 2011 13" MBP. I'm using it for music production and DJ'ing, she uses her's for school and basic browsing.

Here's what I'm wondering...

How do the two models compare processor wise? She knows I use mine only for DJ'ing, and was asking if the bigger screen would benefit me. My worry is if the processor would find any bit of drag? I DJ using Traktor, and I know it doesn't pull a ton of processor, but if I'm using any good number of FX, I know it drives the pull up higher.

Also, how does moving Apple Care around work? She has Apple Care on hers, but I haven't purchased it on mine yet. Can I buy it with her information and have hers transferred to me?

I'm not terribly familiar with Macs, and I'm pretty sure she's using the previous OS. How would I go about clearing her HD and updating to Lion so I have a clear system to work with?

I think that's about it! :) Thanks for the help!!!

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
My fiance has last year's 15" MBP base model, and I just bought the 2011 13" MBP. I'm using it for music production and DJ'ing, she uses her's for school and basic browsing.

Here's what I'm wondering...

How do the two models compare processor wise? She knows I use mine only for DJ'ing, and was asking if the bigger screen would benefit me. My worry is if the processor would find any bit of drag? I DJ using Traktor, and I know it doesn't pull a ton of processor, but if I'm using any good number of FX, I know it drives the pull up higher.

Also, how does moving Apple Care around work? She has Apple Care on hers, but I haven't purchased it on mine yet. Can I buy it with her information and have hers transferred to me?

I'm not terribly familiar with Macs, and I'm pretty sure she's using the previous OS. How would I go about clearing her HD and updating to Lion so I have a clear system to work with?

I think that's about it! :) Thanks for the help!!!

so your jelous that ur fiance has a better computer that ur worried about? lol

nicoga3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Wait what? I don't think I understand what you said at all...:confused:

If the the processor in the 2010 15" is better than the 2011 13", it makes sense for me to switch so I have more processor for Traktor and Ableton.

The other issues (restoring both hard drives to new state and transferring Apple Care) are more questions of general concern. :)

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Wait what? I don't think I understand what you said at all...:confused:

If the the processor in the 2010 15" is better than the 2011 13", it makes sense for me to switch so I have more processor for Traktor and Ableton.

The other issues (restoring both hard drives to new state and transferring Apple Care) are more questions of general concern. :)

You should post the specs of both the machines to give a better idea.

----------

so your jelous that ur fiance has a better computer that ur worried about? lol

Apparently you didn't read past the first sentence.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
It's a bit silly to switch machines, because if the 2010 15" runs out of CPU power, so will the 13" 2011 Sandy Bridge MBP.

Both machines will handle music production and DJ'ing with no problems at all.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
It seems people here answer without even reading the ops post.

The Sandy Bridge i5 is slightly faster but the difference is negligible. You won't notice a difference CPU wise. The new Intel GPU is much fast than the old but that shouldn't matter. Running on the dedicated GPU the 15" needs much more battery life thus you should force the Intel GPU if battery life matters.

Apple Care is registered to the serial number of the product. Once purchased it stays with the product it was purchased for. You walk into an Apple Store with your fiancés notebook they will repair it. There is no need for transferring it or anything.
It is not an accident insurance anyway, it is only an extended warranty thus it really doesn't matter who uses it even if it would be bound to the buyer and not the product.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
I second that. Unless you want gaming.

Have a look over here

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2011/02/macbookpro-benchmarks-early-2011/

Your computer is actually faster than the base 15.

iMac 3.1 ghz i5 scores only 8379, so the base 15" 2.0 ghz MBP 2011 is faster than the iMac? :eek: ( it isn't, anandtech showed the iMac is even faster than the 2.3 i7 Quad Core 15" MBP with it's 11000 geekbech score )

In tests like Aperture, video encoding, Photoshops, they are pretty close. If you're going to run into CPU trouble with a 2010 15", you'll run into trouble with a 2011 13" so there is no point in "upgrading" to either machines.

I would base my decision on what machine to use on other factors what you could need ( like screen real estate )

edit: If you're going to use a high end TB audio interface, then the 2011 MBP 13" is a no brainer. But those audio interfaces that will use TB are not cheap and not sure if you need so many inputs.

nicoga3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Oh wow, a Thunderbolt Audio Interface would be complete sex. :cool: Regarding screen real-estate, for DJ'ing, 13" is more than adequate. I don't stare at the screen much anyways - just enough to find a song in the browser (which goes full screen anyways) and to set cue points.

For production work, I'll likely just route the output to my PC monitor (since that's like, 24" widescreen) and work from that. I guess my biggest concern was processor use when doing heavy production or FX work live.

I'll bring mine with me when I see her this weekend and let her screw around with it - see how she feels about the size. I'll toss a trial of Ableton or Traktor on hers and mess with the settings a bit and see how it draws.

I appreciate those who contributed! :)

nicoga3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Whelp, change of plans. :) I like my 13" too much, haha. We're going to try and sell hers for enough to get her one identical to mine. Thanks again for all the help and info! :cool:

Mods, you can lock this thread if you'd like!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.