2011 13" mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cloroxbleach4, May 11, 2011.

1. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Thinking about switching to a 2011 13".

My current system is in my signature. Could I just take out my harddrive and stick it in the new system? Are there any issues with that?

Also, will the 1tb harddrive fit in the system as it's a bit thicker than typical 2.5 harddrives. I know this was an issue a couple years back, just wanting to double check that it still allows for the slightly thicker drive.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. cloroxbleach4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Will I have any issues with it not recognizing the different hardware? Such as thunderbolt and just a different processor?

4. simsaladimbamba

Not really, but if you run the Software Update after switching the HDDs you will make sure to install all the latest available drivers and patches.

5. cloroxbleach4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I forgot to update the drive before removing it. And when I placed it in the 2011, it's not going past the apple logo. Any suggestions on what to do?

6. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

You can't just drop the drive in because there is different drivers and hardware (FaceTime, for example). You will need to do a single Time Machine backup on the old drive, then format the drive, then install Snow Leopard and restore from backup. It's the only way to get it to work clean.

7. cloroxbleach4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I don't have the old machine anymore. Is there anyway to do a backup on the drive without the old machine?

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Find someone with a similar (older) machine and put drive in a USB enclosure, boot off of it there.

Your old drive simply won't work in your new machine, as your current machine is newer than the OS on the old drive so you lack appropriate drivers, etc.

9. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Or go to Best Buy and buy a USB/SATA adapter, plug it up and do it that way. But yes, the reinstall is required. I learned that the hard way when I went with the 2011 and quite frankly, knowing what I know now, I would have just kept my 2010.