2011 15" 6750m Crashes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ReanimationN, Sep 8, 2011.

1. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

Hey all, has anyone else with the 2011 15" 2.2GHz Core i7 MacBook Pro experienced graphics card crashes? My first unit was plagued with them, I returned it after a long battle with Apple (since I couldn't replicate the issue in the 30 seconds they look at it in the Genius Bar) and was given a new unit, which has been decent until recently when it had its first crash, locking up with a garbled pattern on the screen. My first unit crashed under both OS X (SL and Lion) and Windows 7, my new unit has only crashed under Windows 7 so far (doing work for my Masters degree, thankfully I'd just saved), but it doesn't bode well for when I need to start doing video intensive work under OS X for my job again.

With both machines I've also had sleep issues- they've both been very slow at waking from sleep, my first machine often took 10-15 seconds for the screen to light up and become usable, and would thrash the hard drive upon lifting the lid. My replacement unit takes 5-6 seconds and does, as before, rev the hard drive before waking, but is much quieter about it. It occasionally does wake quickly, but more often than not, I have to wait for it to revive. Neither unit matches the ~1, sometimes 2 second wake time of my girlfriend's 2010 13" MBP, or her new 2011 13" Core i7 (a replacement for her 2010 13", which was killed in a Genius Bar repair).

Have I been incredibly unlucky and received 2 dodgy units? Or are these crashes plaguing a significant number of 2011 15" owners?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Haven't had that problem at all with mine...

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Never had that problem...
    Besides, every time I run a YouTube video, it switches to HD 3000 so havent really used my Radeon 6750M that much.

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If it's going to switch, it'll switch to the 6750 to run Flash video.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Mine seems to always run in HD 3000.
    It only stays in 6750 after restart or bootup.
    Video or games, it switches to 3000

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Any component can be defective. Are you running retail versions of OS (not betas, ect.).

Also, a GPU will only change upon launching of an app, not during an app. For example, if you open safari it will stay HD 3000 until you open another app that 'requires' the 6750 - it won't change to the 6750 if you go to a flash website.

7. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

wtf? Mine idles in the 3000 and then when using flash or anything more intense it goes to the 6750. Don't think you'd want it the other way around, the 3000 would be miles worse for games

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah, mines only 4GB RAM so max of 384MB of VRAM for this guy.
    Im running 3000 right now watching video :/

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

A picture of this 'garbled pattern' would be nice.

10. ReanimationN thread starter macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I'm running 10.7.1 and Windows 7 SP1. I've got gfxCardStatus on, so it's forcing my system to stay on the HD3000.
    [​IMG]

It looked a lot like this, only I could still see little parts of my window that was open at the time and the mouse cursor.

It hasn't happened again since that one time, but given that it's my second system affected, I'm wondering if I should take it back again for another unit. I'm starting to think I should have bought a 13", they seem more reliable.

11. echosky81 macrumors newbie

Return it again. I've never had this issue with mine though I did change out the thermal paste myself. Artifacts like the one above are usually a sign of a defective GPU.

12. ReanimationN thread starter macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

Thanks, yeah it seems I'm going to have to, I can't trust it to handle high loads if it's showing signs of failing already. Oh well, back to the Apple Store I go. I may pay a little more and swap it for a high-res 15" if they have them in stock.

13. JacaByte macrumors 6502

A different display isn't going to help with your graphics card troubles, but if you want one a hi-res display in addition to a graphics card that works then more power to you.

14. ReanimationN thread starter macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

Yeah I know, I've been doing a lot of video work lately though and wouldn't mind upsizing for the extra pixels. Plus, the people at my local Apple Store are really anal about returns and refunds, so saying I want to spend a bit of money may make the exchange run a bit more smoothly. :)