2011 15'' HiRes Display Yellow Tint Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mschissler, Mar 6, 2011.

1. mschissler, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

mschissler macrumors newbie

hi everybody,
    i just received my new macbook pro. but i'm not really happy with the display. it has a yellow tint at the bottom. i'm trying to decide if i exchange it. but this would only make sense if there are panels out there that do not have this problem.
    are there any 2011 macbook pros with 15'' hires antiglare panel or 15'' hires glare panel without yellow tint? you can check this with the following test image:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=223093&d=1271831350
    in my display the white square at the bottom is much more yellow than the white square at the top. normally both squares should be equal and they both should have a pure white.
    if possible please add your panel type. you can find it here:
    System Preferences > Displays > Color > Color LCD > Open Profile > Line 17 (under "Model")
    Mine is: 9CB7
    Thanks
    martin

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

If you're not happy with it, return it or get it fixed. It's that simple.

3. Cantisama macrumors member

I have the same model as you (9CB7). I tested that image you posted, the bottom white square is slightly tinted yellow compared to the top white square, but it's hardly noticeable.

If it bothers you enough that it disrupts your experience then take it to apple. Remember though that perfect displays almost never exist (I'm talking about displays in general, not apple). If this is your only display problem (so no dead/stuck pixels, dust under the screen, backlight bleeding) then you may want to reconsider trying your luck with a new display.

4. mschissler thread starter macrumors newbie

@Cantisama
    thanks für your input!
    i'm totally aware that there is no thing like a perfekt notebook display. but mine has this yellow tint problem plus a lot of backlight bleeding at the bottom. but exchanging it is still a game: can get better or worse. so i'm still unsure what to do.

5. enklined macrumors 6502

Heh, mines not even close on my new 2011 15" MBP. This would have bothered me plenty, years ago (in fact I think i exchanged my 2007 MBP for a new one), but now, I'm not sure I care.

[​IMG]

6. mschissler thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks enklined, that's exactly what i am seeing.
    could you please also post your panel type? would be interesting to see if you have got the same panel.

7. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

I have the same 'issue', but would have never noticed without reading that thread. Not a problem for me, keeping it.

2010 MBP 15" i7 2.66 highres matte -> screen 9CBB

8. iCenturio macrumors newbie

Seems Apple is using the same displays as in the 2010 15'' MBP...

Check this out: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=901710

When I got my MBP last year, it had the 9CBA-Screen (LG-Philips, Glossy)...however, I was quiet unhappy due to the yellow tint-thing in the bottom half of the screen. So I got the screen replaced. Now have the 9CB6 (Samsung), which is identical to yours expect for the fact that it's glossy.

As you can see in the attached image, the replacement screen has very slight yellow tint (wouldnt even consider to call it yellow, contrast is lower due to viewing angle), but it's kind of red/purple at the top of the screen.

If you're unhappy, exchange the whole machine or send it back. I doubt you will get really happy with it. It's like a dead pixel: Once identified, you will stare all the time at it.

Attached Files:

• Foto.jpg
      Foto.jpg
      File size:
      475.6 KB
      Views:
  9. iBunny macrumors 65816

I have had the "Yellow" Tint my last 3 MacBook Pros (1st LED Penryn MBP, 1st Unibody Core 2 Duo, and my current 2010 i7 MBP Hi-Res)

Every time I get pissed off and do the "test" with the squares and look for the yellow every time im on a web page, but after a while I just forget about it and dont notice. Actually I completely forgot about it until I read this thread. WHen I get my 2011 MBP, I wont even look for it. I know its there... it has been in all the LED backlit screens Apple has used (that I have had anyway), and I dont care. As long as I dont have any dead pixels :)

10. zenit macrumors member

ugh guys its a TN screen. They never display same exact shades on top vs bottom. This is due to sub-par viewing angles. If you try out this test you will notice the same thing get exaggerated to another level:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

11. dblissmn macrumors regular

Zenit is absolutely right about the TN thing. This looks very similar to my 2008 Penryn MBP which otherwise is very evenly lit. Apple hasn't done a proper IPS display in a laptop since the 1280x854 Powerbooks from early 2002 through early 2006. And those were beautiful displays but boy were they fragile. I'd love for those to come back, but they'd have to find a better way of mounting them in the case and if I recall correctly the TN also saves on battery life.

12. mschissler thread starter macrumors newbie

hi guys. thanks again for all the kind input. seems to me as if there are no panels out htere without this little problem. but there seems to be some variation in intensity.
    i honestly think that this is not about viewing angles. the yellowness of the lower square in the test image doesn't change when i change my position in front of the display.
    maybe it's a result of the backlight bleeding that is mainly at the bottom of my display.
    still unsure about exchanging or not. could get worse. at least i have no zombie pixels. and i like the machine anyway and so i'm not really eager to give it out of my hands again. damn. have to sleep about that.

13. mschissler thread starter macrumors newbie

have to correct myself. i did some additional research. and now it seems to me as if there is a connection between yellowness and viewing angles.

14. mschissler thread starter macrumors newbie

exchange is running. i think the next one will have the same problem but hopefully to a lesser extent.
    i also checked some 15'' non-hires displays i came across. they have it too but to a much lesser extent.

15. enklined macrumors 6502

Oops sorry, just saw this. My panel is the 9CB7, same as your (old one?).

Sounds like you had yours exchanged. How did it turn out?