2011 15 " MacBook Pro - Cannot bootcamp w/ SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CompanionCube, Mar 6, 2011.

1. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

Has anyone here successfully bootcamped their 2011 15" with an SSD? I tried it last night and it bricked the drive. I had to remove it, and wipe it clean with Intel's SSD Toolbox (it's an X25-m 120gb G2).

After I partitioned the drive, and restarted the mac, the only drive it would see is the Bootcamp partition and it would just hang at startup and show a folder icon with a ? in the middle.

It would never actually boot from the DVD or anything. I'm running the SSD in the HDD location too.

2. wct097 macrumors 6502

Mine worked fine with the factory SSD. 2011 15 2.2 AG 128SSD 8gb.

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

How old is the X25? There is a known issue with early X25 SSDs that prevent bootcamp from working.

It's mentioned at the bottom of the page here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2742

4. IonBlade macrumors newbie

I spent all day yesterday bumping into the same problem on an X25-m G1 80GB. Unfortunately, there's no fix for my particular model.

Good news for you though - from what I read on some forums (sorry, hit up about 100 links yesterday, and I can't seem to find it again), the 120 GB's latest firmware update fixes Boot Camp issues.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

You'll get an ISO that you then need to burn to a disc. I don't believe it'll boot in a Mac, so you'll have to pop the drive into a PC, boot from that disc, and run the update. After that, you should be good to install Boot Camp.

5. CompanionCube thread starter macrumors regular

CompanionCube

Thanks for the replies guys. It's a new G2 120gb unit, I did do the firmware update AFTER I removed it and used SSD Toolbox to wipe the drive and start over. Now I'm kind of afraid to try it again after that ordeal yesterday. Maybe if I feel brave enough I'll try again.