2011 15" MacBook Pro decision...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shady Pioneer, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Shady Pioneer macrumors member

Hi everyone. I am going to be buying one of these tonight, although I am really not sure which one I should be going for. I'm a graphic designer so I will be using CS5, although I will not be playing game or editing video. Purely everyday tasks and CS5 work.

Is the base 15" suitable? I will be wanting to keep this for a few years at least. I'll be adding a high res screen and possibly a 7200rpm HDD.

Any help would be great as it's quite urgent. Thank you.

Kirk

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

3. DanFreemanPhoto macrumors member

High res anti-glare......is what you should be getting.

Especially if you're doing design work.

4. Shady Pioneer thread starter macrumors member

I don't actually have a Mac at the moment as I just sold my late 2010 iMac (i3) the other day.

With the high red anti glare models, are they the same ones used on the Air? So the design has a silver bezel? Does the screen sit flush with the bezel as well?

5. DanFreemanPhoto macrumors member

Yes there is a sliver border, which is recessed a tiny bit.

I find it funny when people say they wont get an anti-glare screen because of the "ugly silver border". Sacrifice a better screen for a little sliver border lol!

6. Jeff42037 macrumors regular

for what your doing go hi-Res.. How often do you buy a new MBP not everyday.

7. darkeartg macrumors regular

I actually love the silver border, I think it makes it look so classy

8. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

9. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Hi rez for sure. Glossy/matt will depend on your tastes and on where/how you use the computer. I personally prefer glossy but I also have a well controlled lighting. You really need to try both in the environment you will be using it in. If this is a "work" machine I would recommend purchasing BOTH and then return the one you don't like.

cheers
    JohnG

10. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I recommend you go to an Apple Store or Best Buy and check out both types (glossy and anti glare).
    I find the glossy screen has slightly better colors and the picture tends to pop a bit more than the anti glare one. Though if you work in an environment where theres lots of windows it might be worth it for anti glare.

11. Shady Pioneer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all in the input guys. I decided to go with the base 15" MacBook Pro and decided to keep the glossy screen after checking them both out.

I opted for the high res screen and 7200rpm 500GB HDD too. Just waiting for Apple to confirm my order now. Had a call from Natwest trying to authorise the large transaction.:cool:

12. indoorsman macrumors newbie

So after you said that you were a graphic designer and most people recommended the anti-glare for design work, why did you decide to opt for the glossy screen?

I'm in the market for the same mbp and do design work as well. I feel that the glossy screen is visually more attractive to the eye, however the colors are higher in contrast and maybe too overly vibrant for design work??

I still have to compare the 2 side by side but if I weren't going to mainly be using the computer for work purposes, I'd definitely go with the glossy..

13. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

14. Whitelightning macrumors regular

Buying the macbook for the same premise as you stated, I opted for the glossy too. Good to know someone has indirectly seconded my decision, despite being a graphics designer too.

I was at the Apple store comparing the two displays, and though the anti-glare one did not look bad, opted for glossy.

15. Shady Pioneer thread starter macrumors member

It is true that the glossy is more vibrant but I don't think it's going to be too much of a problem to be honest. I work in a room which doesn't hit the screen with direct sunlight too (I had an iMac previous).