2011 15" macbook pro fans running often

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sonhascome, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I bought a 2.2ghz i7 back in November, and hadn't noticed it running very hot. Within the last week or so it really seems like it's heated up and the battery life has plummeted. I downloaded SMC fan control and it says that my cpu is at 190 degrees F right now. All I have running is one Firefox window, three word documents, and mail. I reset the SMC the other day, and it seemed to help for a little while, however now I'm back to them running really hot. Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm thinking about taking it to the Apple store if this keeps up. Thanks for the input

----------

is this normal, it seems hot to me?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Using the discrete GPU will produce more heat. If what you're browsing on FF is using a lot of Flash content, more CPU power is being used thus more heat is being produced.

It's a good thing you're hearing your fans, at least they're working properly. 190F isn't all that hot for a Mac. They'll reach roughly 220F before shutting down due to heat.

So to make a short story, you're either doing something using up a lot of processing power, or a runaway process is doing the same thing.

3. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not too good with all this inside the computer, but I just pulled up activity monitor and it has the following programs listed as the top cpu usage:

plugin-container - 99.9%
    plugin-container - 99.9%
    plugin-container - 99.9%
    Firefox - bounces between 54% and 75%

Is that normal? If not how do I go about fixing that?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Well something is quite obviously using up all your CPU power. I'd venture to say it's some plugin you're using in firefox(Something such as Flash or Silverlight). Apart from that, only you can tell me what's really running.

Quit the app and start it up again, see how that goes.