2011 15" MacBook Pro running at 1/4 speed! WTH??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adr1974, Jun 1, 2012.

1. adr1974 macrumors regular

So here's the progression of events: about a week ago, noticed that the battery in my 2011 MacBook Pro was failing -- absolutely doesn't take a charge. Reset PRAM and SMC, no change. Two nights ago, computer wouldn't start appropriately...it would chime, get to apple logo and spinning gear, and then restart. Ran Disk Utility, which told me that there was a problem (forget exactly what it was -- somewhere in the file structure, 5657 found, expected 5656, or something like that). Problem fixed. Now, the computer boots normally and seems fully functional (with the exception of the battery), but the geekbench scores are around 2800 instead of around 11000. Anyone have any idea what I might have done?

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

If you have a bad battery then that is why you have problems. The batteries in MBP's are integrated now since the 15" and 17" can literally consume more power than the 85W power bricks provide (93W is what I believe is their peak).

Then your case would apply with your battery, as it cannot provide the correct stable amount of power with just the power adapter.

Take it to Apple and have it looked at.

3. adr1974 thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate it...does not sound like a quick and easy fix...

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I was thinking the same thing as shardey. I know in the older models with the removable batteries, the processors would be crippled if the battery was removed. It was to prevent the computer from trying to draw more power than the power brick could supply and forcing it to shut down. Since your battery is completely non-functional, it seems like something similar must be happening.

I'd definitely take it to Apple and have them look at it. Maybe they'll replace the battery for you...not sure how many cycles you have on it or if they'll see it as defective, but it's worth a try.

5. adr1974 thread starter macrumors regular

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

You should be able to get a replacement if it is a battery problem. Sounds like one :)

If not, batteries sell for around $120 new.