2011 15" Macbook pro vs 27" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ThisIsMe, Apr 24, 2012.

1. ThisIsMe macrumors regular

I have a 27" base model iMac and i wanted to return it for a base model 15" Macbook pro. How faster is the iMac compared to the Macbook pro ? Will i be loosing a lot of power? Do you guys think I should take that route? I do video editing nothing really to fancy just HD video from my DSLR.

Or do you guys think I should go with the base line model 13" Macbook pro upgrade the ram and install a SSD and go with a 27" thunderbolt display?

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Well actually its not faster then the MacBook Pro.
    The 2.2Ghz i7 in the MBP is about 20-25% faster then the 2.7GHz i5 in the base model 27" iMac. So you would gain in that category. Graphics wise the iMac is slightly faster as it has the 6770M and the MBP the 6750M. But not much difference there.
    HDD in the iMac will be quicker then the HDD in the MBP as it is a 7200rpm compared to the 5400rpm in the base MBP.
    You can add more RAM to the iMac then to the MBP. 32GB vs 16GB. It is also cheaper to upgrade to 16GB (4x4GB) in the iMac (roughly 80€/$), in the MBP its about 150-200 i think (2x8GB).So this might be a factor depending on if you need it or not.

Major difference is the Screen. You have a resolution of 2560x1440 in the iMac but only 1440x900 in the MBP. This is a massive difference and you will have a lot less space for your windows.

If I wouldn't need portability I would stick with the iMac because despite it being a little slower CPU wise I think the screen etc make up for it in my opinion.

I wouldn't recommend the 13" MBP. It is much slower CPU wise and a heck of a lot slower in terms of graphics. Again if you don't need portability the iMac is the better option.

3. ThisIsMe thread starter macrumors regular

Wow thanks for the info. I just really would like to have something portable when ever i need it i could take it with me on the go. Can you recommend a good external monitor?

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Makes perfect sense.

I dont know much about external monitors, sadly :( but I hear Dell Ultrasharps being recommended a lot. They aren't the prettiest of screens but have lots of ports and the colours are great (from what I have read)

If you do decide to go the MBP route then have a look at refurbished models. The are much cheaper and just as new :)

5. pointofcontact macrumors newbie

Let me also add that the fan in the MBP (when running processor heavy applications) will run pretty constantly - it ended up being prohibitive for me as I do audio recording.

I made the switch (from a 2011 15" MBP) to the iMac 3.4 i7 - it really isn't noticably faster...just quieter.

6. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I was about to add the fan noise to my post :D That the most annoying thing about the MBP's I think.

7. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I was reading this thread and thought exactly that. My 27" iMac was whisper quiet. My Macbook does get hot / noisy.

I think the best of both worlds is an Air and an iMac. But if you can only get one and don't need the portability the iMac is a really nice machine, especially with the built-in 27" display.

8. cperry2 macrumors regular

I very recently did that exact switch. I needed the portability for location recording.

Re the fan noise - you can download a free menu bar app called gfxCardStatus and force the computer to stay on integrated graphics when you need the computer to stay quiet. This compounded with an SSD stops most of the fan noise. Then again, I only record with two inputs at a time.

I actually prefer the more intimate screen - sounds kind of weird, but I find it's way more manageable when I'm dealing with sheet music editing. The 15" hits that sweet spot for me.

----------

Guess it's also worth noting you can get 16GB (8x2) ram for under $100 these days if you keep an eye out. I just did on newegg. And, it's waaaaaaay easier to stick an ssd in down the line on a notebook.

I'd say unless you really don't want to lose the imac's screen (and you don't have the money to get a separate screen), and for some reason you need more than 16gb of ram, the macbook pro is a better investment. Easier to upgrade (you can put two 2.5" drives in), portable (I didn't like being chained to the desk), and not to mention I really appreciate the backlit keyboard.

Anyway I'll shutup now, but this is coming from a guy who did it and loves it. Just make sure you swap out the hdd for an ssd, or at least a 750gb momentus xt. The 5400rpm drive it ships with really holds it back.

9. ELMpro macrumors newbie

I can backup the Dell Ultrasharp route. Although many would consider my mid-2007 MBP and 24" Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFPb (2007 as well) ancient, I am still using it as my primary computer and it looks fantastic for being five years old. It may not be quite as bright and vivid when compared to a new 27" iMac, but it doesn't have a glossy screen (which many complain of) and at the time of purchase I think I paid around $600 for it, so there are some wins for sure. You might miss out on the whole Thunderbolt/Power convenience thing, but it seems many people continue to have USB problems with peripherals plugged into their Apple Displays using Thunderbolt to connect to their MBP/MB Airs. Anyway, good luck in your decision.