2011 15" MBP - Battery Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hendrixmaster, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Hendrixmaster macrumors newbie

Hey,

Basically, it charges fine to 99%, at which point it then starts losing charge. If I unplug it when it says it's going down it bumps up to 100%. Using coconut battery it says I have 98% battery life remaining.. however I bought this from Apple today! It's a 3 week old machine from being 'born' at Apple.

What might be up? Am I gonna have to return it?

Tom

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Hendrixmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

I left it on charge, it got down to 90% from 99% while on charge. That surely can't be normal?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on what you were running at the time. Calibrate your battery to make sure your readings are accurate. Also, read the AC POWER section of the FAQ I posted.

5. Neil1138 macrumors regular

Long time mbp owner here :hai:

I'm having problems with my 15" 2011 mbp as well. I know how to properly calibrate a battery and have done so twice now. But for some reason, my battery meter reads horribly. It'll go down from 100% to 20% in under 2 hours and then drop of severely after that. I can maybe get 2:30 out of this battery. Surely that's not correct?

I'm not doing anything graphics intensive or anything like that. Just merely browsing the web (no videos even). Shouldnt I be getting nearly 7 hours?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the FAQ I posted.

7. Neil1138, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

Neil1138 macrumors regular

No way. My last computer was the late 2008 unibody mbp and I got better battery life with that thing which had over 700 battery cycles. I refuse to believe this new mbp gets worse battery life on a new battery. I mean I'm doing measly tasks, no photoshop, no gaming. Apple advertises 7 hours, if I got 5 hours I wouldn't be complaining but half of that is unacceptable.