2011 15" MBP Beachballs and Freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoJo Zzang, Oct 14, 2011.

1. JoJo Zzang macrumors member

So this has been going for a while and it is INCREDIBLY annoying. Beachballs and freezing during time machine back ups, multiple apps in use and etc. :mad:

I've been researching just a little and from what I gather it seems to be a known issue for the 15" i7 models. :confused: I read about how some even reproduced the issues on Apple display models in stores.

What is Apples answer? Has it been fixed since others are saying the early models was a hardware issue? I'm annoyed beyond belief... :(

2. PirateMonkey macrumors member

I had this issue apperently activity monitor is your friend, what you need to do is restart your mac and make sure nothing is running thats heavy but started by you so I found going for a fresh restart would help this matter, then go into activity monitor and check out what is using up the most cpu usage, and then google that process or post it here, my issues where down to stupid citrixs causing issues, so I killed it using terminal so you need to find out what is bogging down your system.

falling that a backup of all your work plus a rebuild might not be a bad idea.

3. tears2040 macrumors 6502

When you are doing a Time Machine backup you should NOT be using your computer.

4. JoJo Zzang thread starter macrumors member

Since when? I've always worked on my Mac during Time Machine back up for years. This MBP since spring has been nothing but headache.

5. yly3 macrumors 6502

I also purchased 5 days ago a 15" high end MBP preinstalled with Lion. I now have 10.7.2 obviously, but I do get beach balls every now and then I overall feel that this machine, especially with specs like these, can work considerably faster.

6. JoJo Zzang thread starter macrumors member

A 2 grand+ machine this should not. My 2010 i5 never had such inconsistent problems and freezing under workload... :mad:

7. Sixtyin3 macrumors member

My early '08 MBP is doing those exact things as well. I've actually gotten a a fail to write to hard drive message once or twice making me think that the hard drive is failing. I'm on the original 200gig drive and plan on putting in a 128gb SSD soon.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Check the activity monitor and see what's causing it to bog down. If it's when you have a lot of different programs open, keep an eye on your RAM usage as well. It could be something hogging the processor, or it could be that you're running into a lack of RAM and your machine is doing a lot of swaps.

9. JoJo Zzang thread starter macrumors member

Sometimes it freezes at login in screen. Or, I could just be launching something simple as Preview or opening a folder with no other programs running and it will give me the spinning wheel of death. Running low on ram can't be it when I have 8gig...

10. AGEC2008 macrumors member

11. JoJo Zzang thread starter macrumors member

Yea

12. AGEC2008 macrumors member

I have the exact same problem on my mid 2010 MBP. It has happened since day 1 of lion. Was on the phone with AppleCare 3 times yesterday. I'm up to a sr advisor but he is not working this weekend. So frustrated.

Thought it would have been an outdated version of parallels running in the background, but after removing those files from my library it seemed to fix the problem for about half of the day.

It has since started again. Forces me to do a hard shut down. Can't pinpoint it to a specific program I m running.

13. yly3 macrumors 6502

If you ask me, it's Lion's fault. I had 1 week ago a base 2011 13" with SL and no problems whatsoever. Beachballs appeared only if I really did something heavy.

14. PirateMonkey macrumors member

Are you all getting excessive boot times just wondering?