Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoJo Zzang

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
So this has been going for a while and it is INCREDIBLY annoying. Beachballs and freezing during time machine back ups, multiple apps in use and etc. :mad:

I've been researching just a little and from what I gather it seems to be a known issue for the 15" i7 models. :confused: I read about how some even reproduced the issues on Apple display models in stores.

What is Apples answer? Has it been fixed since others are saying the early models was a hardware issue? I'm annoyed beyond belief... :(

PirateMonkey

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
So this has been going for a while and it is INCREDIBLY annoying. Beachballs and freezing during time machine back ups, multiple apps in use and etc. :mad:

I've been researching just a little and from what I gather it seems to be a known issue for the 15" i7 models. :confused: I read about how some even reproduced the issues on Apple display models in stores.

What is Apples answer? Has it been fixed since others are saying the early models was a hardware issue? I'm annoyed beyond belief... :(

I had this issue apperently activity monitor is your friend, what you need to do is restart your mac and make sure nothing is running thats heavy but started by you so I found going for a fresh restart would help this matter, then go into activity monitor and check out what is using up the most cpu usage, and then google that process or post it here, my issues where down to stupid citrixs causing issues, so I killed it using terminal so you need to find out what is bogging down your system.

falling that a backup of all your work plus a rebuild might not be a bad idea.

JoJo Zzang

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
When you are doing a Time Machine backup you should NOT be using your computer.

Since when? I've always worked on my Mac during Time Machine back up for years. This MBP since spring has been nothing but headache.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
I also purchased 5 days ago a 15" high end MBP preinstalled with Lion. I now have 10.7.2 obviously, but I do get beach balls every now and then I overall feel that this machine, especially with specs like these, can work considerably faster.

JoJo Zzang

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I also purchased 5 days ago a 15" high end MBP preinstalled with Lion. I now have 10.7.2 obviously, but I do get beach balls every now and then I overall feel that this machine, especially with specs like these, can work considerably faster.

A 2 grand+ machine this should not. My 2010 i5 never had such inconsistent problems and freezing under workload... :mad:

Sixtyin3

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
My early '08 MBP is doing those exact things as well. I've actually gotten a a fail to write to hard drive message once or twice making me think that the hard drive is failing. I'm on the original 200gig drive and plan on putting in a 128gb SSD soon.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Check the activity monitor and see what's causing it to bog down. If it's when you have a lot of different programs open, keep an eye on your RAM usage as well. It could be something hogging the processor, or it could be that you're running into a lack of RAM and your machine is doing a lot of swaps.

JoJo Zzang

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Check the activity monitor and see what's causing it to bog down. If it's when you have a lot of different programs open, keep an eye on your RAM usage as well. It could be something hogging the processor, or it could be that you're running into a lack of RAM and your machine is doing a lot of swaps.

Sometimes it freezes at login in screen. Or, I could just be launching something simple as Preview or opening a folder with no other programs running and it will give me the spinning wheel of death. Running low on ram can't be it when I have 8gig...

AGEC2008

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
I have the exact same problem on my mid 2010 MBP. It has happened since day 1 of lion. Was on the phone with AppleCare 3 times yesterday. I'm up to a sr advisor but he is not working this weekend. So frustrated.

Thought it would have been an outdated version of parallels running in the background, but after removing those files from my library it seemed to fix the problem for about half of the day.

It has since started again. Forces me to do a hard shut down. Can't pinpoint it to a specific program I m running.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
If you ask me, it's Lion's fault. I had 1 week ago a base 2011 13" with SL and no problems whatsoever. Beachballs appeared only if I really did something heavy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.