2011 15 mbp 'Chirping'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kiname, May 15, 2011.

1. Kiname macrumors newbie

Lately I've noticed that when my 2011 15 inch MBP is connected to power, it will often make a short high pitched chirp when something touches the case (has made the noise 3-4 times whilst writing the above, just from my hands moving on the palm rests)

Never occurs if it is simply running from battery however.

Any ideas on what is actually happening?

2. f2tai macrumors newbie

Do you move the Macbook Pro at all during this?

I only get a chirping when I lift up the laptop, or move it laterally which i am presuming is the sudden motion sensor kicking in to prevent danger to the disk. I could be wrong however...

3. Kiname thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, even if it's sitting on a flat surface and isn't moved it will do it. Most commonly occurs just from pressure being placed on the case.

If I unplug the power and just run it from battery however it never makes the sound.

4. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

That's definitely an odd issue. I strongly advise you to call Apple. They're really helpful and customer oriented. We have several at work, and like mine, none make that noise.

5. Kiname thread starter macrumors newbie

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

On your charger, do you have the grounded (three-prong) cord connected to the outlet?

7. Kiname thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I do.

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Are you sure it's the charger and not some other component like the fans or the hard drive?
    Chirping sounds from the hard drive may indicate a HDD failure, or improper HDD placement.

9. Kiname thread starter macrumors newbie

I never would have described it as a scraping sound since for my machine it's a much shorter sound which never drags on like in the video. Though the pitch is the same so that is probably what it is.

Thanks heaps, appreciate the responses.

10. S-mac-k macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Funny, I started a thread yesterday with same problem. Wouldn't have called it chirping. More like a clink. But what the hell, the noise is practically identical!

Thanks for the tips!

11. Kiname thread starter macrumors newbie

Eh, the pitch to me sounded like a cricket, so hence the chirping description, thought it would make it easier for people to imagine =D

12. S-mac-k macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Out of curiosity, have you had an optibay conversion? Have you removed your SuperDrive, installed an ssd & moved your stock to the optibay?

I have & I can honestly say I hadn't noticed this *chirping* until te upgrade?

13. nzmc36 macrumors member

chirping gone

Hello, there are a lot of threads and forums about 'chirping' noises - I've certainly had a few issues. I've had a bunch of Mac's over the last 10 years and this new MBP is the first to have the issue.

In mine there are two distinctly different noises, the first is a faint metallic sound that maybe the scraping noise noted by some, and second a 'chirping' that is very similar to a cricket sound. The former has me a little worried from a HD perspective, but I'll try the fix's mentioned previously. The chirping, that was getting incredibly annoying (every minute like clock-work) was solved by running Onyx. I did the whole automated clean and rebuild. I don't know what it did and at this point don't really care since it has cured that gawd awful noise.

Back to peaceful writing......

14. nzmc36 macrumors member

solved....again

I now believe the chirping (which was fixed by a shut down) was caused by the 'Weather bug' application. When a alert comes in, the icon in the flashes the small lady bug thing... click on it, read the alert and it goes away -